Skip to main content

Remote Conversations

Sometimes I am amazed at how many unique, individual conversations during my day can be so comically related.  The consistent theme for conversations today was :  TV Remotes

El Hubbo's Precioussssssss

I come home from work to be greeted by my beloved and my off-spring watching TV.  Number One Son tells his father, "I need a dollar to help my science teacher feed the bearded dragon lizard."

El Hubbo says, "Is your science teacher going to help feed your pig?"  Jake says, "No!"  El Hubbo says, "Then you don't get a dollar to feed a mythical creature."

Jake looks at him confused and says, "It's not a mythical creature, it's a small lizard?  A bearded dragon lizard."  El Hubbo says, "I don't care if it has a goatee!"  Jake says, "It DOES have a goatee!"

El Hubbo responds with, "I don't care!"  Jake grabs the TV remote from his father and says, "Remember, I have power over you.  I have the remote!  Give me a dollar!"

El Hubbo almost went into convulsions as he scrambled to pay the ransom to get his precioussssss, uh, I mean remote back.  Sounds like someone has his father figured out.



The Old Gray Mule and the DVD Player

Periodically, say about every three months, my parents decide to rent a DVD.  Apparently, using this fancy technology makes them feel like young, hip kids.  The only problem is, to actually watch the DVD, they must dial my number.  (Sometimes I'm surprised they don't try sending smoke signals, they are so technically challenged.)

The conversation goes something like this:

"Uh, yeah, Bren, I put the disc in and the movie isn't playing."

"Um, Hi, Dad."

"Oh yeah, uh, Hi."

"So, Dad, do you have all your remotes in front of you?"

"Yeah - I put the disc in and then I....mumble mumble mumble"

"DAD!  Put the phone back up by your mouth - I can't hear you!"

"What?  Oh yeah....so I put the disc in and I tried pushing the button on the samsung remote, but it says push input and I don't find an input button."

"Ok, Dad, is your TV a Sony or a Samsung?"

"Well the remote says Suddenlink."

"Well, Dad, that is the cable company.  We need the remote that matches your TV."

"Huh, well.  Let me look here......."

At this point I wait for 5-10 minutes while he rummages around for the remote.  In the background I can hear him, "Ma!  Where's the TV remote?"  "I don't know!  You had it!  Where'd you put it?"  "I'm pretty sure it was over here....wait, found it!"  "Where was it?"  "Under the recliner"  "What's it doing there?"  "I don't know, let's see if we can figure it out."  "Is Brenda still on the phone?"  "Oh yeah!  I forgot."

I have at this point found somewhere to lay down and close my eyes to wait it all out.

"Hey!  Are you still on the phone?"

"Yes, Dad, I'm still here."

"OK, I think I found the remote."

"Ok, look for a button that says input."

"Well, let's see....there's DVD.....there's Enter......there's volume....."

"INPUT, DAD, FIND THE INPUT BUTTON!!!"

"Channel.....one....two....three......"

"INPUT!  I SAID INPUT!"

"Oh, yeah, here it is! "

"Ok, push it"

"Ok, I pushed it....what's supposed to happen?"

I'm trying hard not to groan, or laugh at this point.......

"Well, look up at the TV......does it bring up a list of options?"

"Well, look at that!  Let's see.....cable box.....air......HDMI...."

"DAD!  Do you see DVD or Blu-Ray?"

"Oh, yeah, there it is....."

"Ok, push the down button to highlight the DVD option."

"Where's the down button?"

I have smacked myself in the forehead at this point.

"Well, I can't see your remote, Dad, but it's usually the buttons around the OK or Select button....."

"There aren't any ..... oh wait, there they are.   Hey!  That fixed it.....got it going, dear!"

"Ok, good deal."  (Said with a noticeable sigh of relief.)

Usually at this point, dad is so distracted by the fact that there are moving pictures on his screen that he just hangs up on me.  Tonight, however, he pops off with this:

"When we get a little more feeble, we're moving in with you."

"Can't wait, dad."

Good thing I love that old Gray mule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...