Skip to main content

Adventures in Catering: Martinez Style


I know it's been kind of quiet in the West Texas Mama blog world.....things have been busy - playing nurse, work at the paying gig, getting kids ready for school, etc.  But, this weekend provided WTM with an experience that must be documented for posterity's sake.

El Hubbo's skills with smoking briskets is becoming more historic with the passage of time.  A friend of ours from church asked us to help him "feed a few folks" for a dove hunt.  No big deal, a couple briskets, maybe some beans, potato salad.  "Something easy."

"No problem!" we said.  And, in deed, in our optimism, we felt this would be simple.  Then, the numbers started growing.....and growing......and growing.   We would potentially be feeding 75 people.  This had turned from a small, backyard cookout to a major catering operation!

In a sick, somewhat masochistic way, the planning of such a thing is something I love.  I break out the calculator, put the headings in my spreadsheet, and start the price comparisons.  I troll websites looking for information on serving sizes, check all the store websites for sales, etc.  I am a number nerd.  El Hubbo utilizes a more laissez-faire approach:  day before he started to think about the stuff he might need.  This is why he needs me in his life.

Our entire dining room became the Op Center for this project, as we started accumulating supplies:  Rotel, 20 lbs of dry pinto beans, season mixes (we have secret recipes we mix in bulk), bowls, picnic packs, paper plates, BBQ sauce ingredients, pounds of onions, jalapeños, a 42-Qt pot to cook the 20 lbs of pinto beans, 500 ft roll of aluminum foil, etc, etc.

We were to go to the ranch on Friday night, where El Hubbo would start the all-night brisket smoking process.  It was raining, which added to the adventure component of our first catering gig.  There were 17 folks scattered amongst two houses.....one of the homes was built on the property in 1915, and had a stove that I am estimating at approximately 60+ years of age.  But, don't let age fool you, that old gal could still cook!


We served breakfast:  Huevos Rancheros with homemade bacon tortillas....topped with homemade salsa (courtesy of sous chef Jake), fresh cilantro and queso fresco.

The men wandered about periodically attempting to shoot some dove, and when that failed, shoot clay pigeons over the canyon.  The girls had a "hen party".  The kids ran wild, convinced some of the younger adults to take them four-wheeling, and had a great time just being kids in the country.  It was wet and drizzly, but nice and cool, which was welcome after a hot Texas summer.

People rolled in all day, and by 4:30, we had almost fifty folks who had braved the weather.  The food was good, the company was great, and we all had a good time.

The brains behind the event:


Country kids:





Beautiful scenery:



Muddy rescue operation:


Friends and Fun:







Babies were popular entertainment:




Chowing down:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...