Skip to main content

Texas, Our Texas!

Fires, tornadoes, drought, and now a hurricane.  It has been a rough time for our Lone Star State. I felt like she needed a love letter.

Early in the year, fires in the panhandle had trucks come up the highways and interstates providing assistance to panhandle families who had lost family, herds, fences, and feed.

Now, in the wake of Harvey, those trucks have been turned around, and the Panhandle sends them back full to the coastal families who now find themselves in need.  (Our mamas taught us you never return a dish empty.)  Our hearts ache for our fellow Texans on the coast.  We know too well the feeling of loss.  

Regardless of the challenges ahead of us, we Texans generally manage to rise to the occasion.  We don't have time to worry about those things that really don't matter.  We have a job to do.  I'm proud of my state and her residents.  Those of us who trace our lineage back to the very founding of this Great State have had it bred into us:  True Texans will not sit down and complain and wonder what will become of us.  We don't have time for that.  There's work to be done, and we don't shy away from it.  Stringing fence line, pulling soaked carpets, swinging a hammer, filling a trash bag, collecting donations....the work is the greatest of equalizers.  Man, woman, child and beast - we set our hand to the task before us, and we make our future, relying on prayer and a faith that Our Texas has been blessed.

We know we boggle the minds of those not from here.  The pre-set story lines of other areas of our nation do not apply.  While they may call it "independence", we know the truth.  It's teamwork.  That is what has made this state great.  She was not built on the backs of independent individuals.  She was built through the hard work of like-minded men and women who believed that guided by purpose, and supported by effort, we can't be stopped.  You might slow us down, maybe even win a battle (Hello, Alamo), but we will see this through to the end. We just don't quit.  That is what makes us special.

Throughout our history we have welcomed the support and assistance of our neighbors.  Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Missouri, even as far away as Wisconsin, fine people of like ilk have put the talents and means with which they have been blessed and rushed to aid us this year.  We appreciate y'all, and one thing is for certain:  It will not be forgotten, and when the time comes, the favor will be returned.

As the dust settles over the panhandle, and the waters recede from the coastal areas, know that Texans will stand up and rebuild.  Know that in many cases, we already are.  We love our beautiful, wild state.  She's given us strength and good perspective on life, so we'll honor her with our effort.  She expects us to square our shoulders and get busy.  We have plenty of evidence to support our confidence that we can survive anything even if all we start with is a prayer.

Indomitable spirit, endless resilience.  That is who we are.  May God Bless Texas.

Texas, Our Texas!

With love,

West Texas Mama




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h