Skip to main content

My Ten Favorite Things About El Hubbo

It's hard to believe, but ten years have passed since saying "I do" to El Hubbo.  And as he is usually the "butt" of most of the jokes and blogs I write, I thought I'd give him a little surprise anniversary gift and let everyone know just what my favorite things are about him, and why he can't get rid of me.

10.  He is MY Romantic Hispanic.  He still asks me out on dates, occasionally sends flowers for no reason, and will on occasion watch a chick flick with minimal complaining.  As we were "older" when we married, I was realistic enough to expect that all of that would stop within one week of our wedding vows.  But the old guy still surprises me!

9.  He is a battle-worthy opponent.  Fights and arguments are seldom.  We each are strong-minded individuals not afraid to voice our opinion, sometimes vigorously.  I cannot run roughshod over him, and he is aware that I am not a doormat, either.  All of this translates into a mutual respect, and a basic understanding that neither one of us is entirely sure who would win an all-out war, so it is best to enjoy our military detente.

8.  He is generous to a fault.  This man has taught me more about true generosity than most people I have known.  He gives of his time, money, energy, etc. to anyone who needs it, often to his own detriment.  And, he doesn't ask for anything back.  He is seldom skeptical of people's motives (an issue I struggle with), and sometimes this character trait is taken advantage of.  But, his example to me and to our children in this area is highly valued, even if I don't express it much. 

7.  He cares.  Everything he does, he does because he cares.  He cares about his students, his stock-showers (even when his wife is threatening to go give whomever calls after 9:00 p.m., emergencies not-withstanding, a good piece of her mind), and last-but-not-least our families.  He spends hours upon hours taking care of others - from early morning to late in the night.  He helps with household chores, running kids here and there, shopping, etc.  Even when his hip hurts him so bad he can barely stand, he offers to help.  He loves teaching, loves agriculture, and loves us.  Enough said.

6.  He can not only finish my sentences, but read my thoughts.  Non-verbal communication is an art form, and El Hubbo and I are masters.  We can see something, or read something, or whatever, and I can almost word-for-word tell you what his opinion is, and vice-versa.  NO ONE in the history of my life, has been able to accurately predict what I will want for breakfast, let alone know exactly what I am thinking at any given moment.  I never would have thought it possible, but there you have it.

5.  He actually likes my independent nature.  This is good - especially as it has apparently been genetically passed on to the other woman dominating his life - Little Sunshine, who has him wrapped around her finger and could brand "sucker" on his forehead and he would say "Thank you."  He actually wanted a woman who didn't need taking care of.  (Careful what you ask for.)

4.  He takes care of me.  I don't usually need it, but sometimes it is admittedly nice to have someone take care of you.  And he does it well.  He has learned my favorite "comfort" meals when I am sick (chicken and dumplings or biscuits and gravy) and he makes them.  He gets the kids dressed and ready most mornings.  (Much appreciated as I am NOT a morning person.)  There are times when you maybe CAN do something, but it is nice when someone makes it where you don't HAVE to, and he does that for me.

3.  He can cook.  Let me say that again, THAT BOY CAN COOK!  I am a pretty good cook, but El Hubbo is equally as good most of the time.  Although I must sometimes slap his hands as he reaches for the spice cabinet because he thinks "it just needs a little something" and he runs the risk of over-seasoning, I will say he is fun to cook with.  And when it comes to smoking meat (briskets, ribs, whatever else you want on the grill), there are few that can touch him.

2. He makes sure to talk to me everyday.  For eleven years now, we have spoken every day.  This is quite a feat considering he travels A LOT.  It may only be a quick phone call to say, "I love you", but he makes sure it gets done.  Even when he was away, found himself floating down a river in the middle of the night, lost in the country around Junction, TX, he worried more about getting out of the water and getting to where he had cell reception before midnight so he could check in.  Even though he woke me up (which is generally an avoided offense), I have to admit that it makes me feel special that he puts that much effort into something so small that ends up meaning so much.

1.  He's one of the best men I know, and I'm lucky to have him in my life.  That's right - he ranks right up there with my daddy, my grandpas, and Cal Ripken, Jr.  There are few that I place on pedestals and will entertain no disparaging word against, but he is included in this small and elite group.  Ten years have not dragged on like a prison sentence, they have flown as he keeps me on my toes, I keep him guessing, and we both spend a lot of time laughing with and at each other.

Well, that's only ten things, there are more, but we'll stop there as I'm pretty sure you are ready to gag with all this lovey-dovey stuff.  Despite the endless fodder he provides me for my blog, he is good-natured enough to laugh at himself and let me put it out there.  It's been a fabulous ten years, and I'm looking forward to many, many more.

I LOVE YOU, EL HUBBO!  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Comments

  1. I wish there was a "like" button on your blog, like there is on Facebook! This one is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Windy Acres! Positive feedback keeps me motivated to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h