Skip to main content

Simple Kid

I know I have been a little remiss in my posting duties, please forgive me!  (As I am sure you can relate to how busy a time of year this becomes for us all!)  Here's a short, but sweet one:

So, yesterday I pick up my offspring from the daycare, just as I do every day after work, whether I want to or not.  (Most of the time I do want to - MOST of the time.)  Jake crawls into the car, and we begin our daily ritual - How was your day?  Fine.  Did you learn anything good today?  No.  What did you eat for lunch?  I don't remember.  Did you get into trouble?  (sheepish look)  Well did you?  A little.  Define "A little."

You get the drift.

Jake then asks about having a snack when he gets home.  I respond, "Sure!  How about some slimy goat boogers with spider hair sprinkled on top?"  (We're all about nutrition and being open to trying new things.  Ok, not really.)

"EWWWW!  Those are insects!"

"Some people eat insects, Jake."

"Yeah, but they are professionals."

You can understand my confusion as to why only professionals can eat insects.  And, is it ALL professionals, or only certain kinds?  And, what exactly, defines "professional" in the mind of a five-year-old boy?

I ask him, "Well, what ARE you?"

Now, if you've read any of my previous posts, you are probably thinking to yourself that I should never ask this child ANY kind of open-ended question.  Especially when operating a moving vehicle.

His dead-pan, no-nonsense reply: "I'm just a simple kid with simple needs." 

No, officer, I haven't been drinking - I was just laughing at my son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...