Skip to main content

Validation

A few months ago, my coupon binder went missing.  One September morning, I went to get in my car and the door was unlocked.  That was unusual as I'm pretty OCD about locking doors.  As I slid into the driver's seat, I had the immediate feeling that someone had been in there.  You know the one:  you can't really put your finger on it, you just know that your stuff has been touched or moved.   I told El Hubbo and we checked - no window's broken, the change was in the cup holder - the only real sign was my Bible cover was unzipped.  Then I it hit me:  MY COUPON BINDER WAS MISSING. 

I said, "Someone took my coupon binder!" El Hubbo told me he didn't think so - he popped off that it had to be the work of some deranged individual.  Then he told me I had probably taken it in the house and just forgotten where I put it.  He was less than supportive of my instinct that someone had been in my space.  "Why would they just take your coupon binder?  That would be the work of a deranged individual" he said, while he gave me that "You are an idiot" look.

I had no way of proving my case, and I did tear apart the house, just in case I was truly an idiot, but I never could shake the feeling that someone had been in my car.  I went and bought all the supplies to make a new binder and many of the immediately following trips to the store resulted in my muttering to myself that I knew I had a coupon for this or for that in my OLD binder. 

Life rolled on, and I had mostly forgotten about the loss of my first coupon binder - El Hubbo did ask me a couple weeks ago if I had come across it.   I told him, No, I was still convinced someone took it.  He was obviously still convinced I had lost my mind.  Until today. 

Admittedly it is sad that when the police knock on your door the first thing that comes to mind is, "What did Jake do this time?"  But, if you had a son who had managed to call the police to your door twice before, you really would not be able to help it.  (He has a love of pushing the silent alarm button on the security system.) 

El Hubbo answered the door, and I heard a male voice ask if he recognized something.  El Hubbo said, "Yes, sir, come on in while I get my wife."  I go out to the door and LO AND BEHOLD:  A member of Lubbock's finest had my coupon binder!  I believe my exact response was, "My coupon binder!"  And, then directed at El Hubbo with finger pointing, "I told you someone stole it!!!!!!"  The officer got a good laugh out of hearing the saga of the binder.  Apparently someone had found it in some bushes behind a church about a block away.  Considering it had been stashed in those bushes since September, it was in fairly decent shape.  A wallet had also been found, but that was not mine and the officer showed us some pictures in it to see if we could assist with identifying the owner, but we could not.

The officer told us he figured someone saw the binder and took it thinking it might be a laptop or something.  And I smugly (and lovingly) looked at my husband and said, "Ha!  That's what I said!"  I thanked the officer and told him I was just glad that I was right:  someone had taken it and someone had been in my car and El Hubbo was wrong and I was right!  (All healthy relationships should have a good-natured competitiveness to it.)

Validation of one's instincts is a beautiful thing.  I do believe I will get a lot of mileage out of this with El Hubbo.  He'd better not say a word next time I send him out to check on a strange noise or my response will be, "Oh yeah?  And you didn't believe me about the coupon binder, either!"

Comments

  1. I was waiting for you to say that Darin had taken it to use when he Validated pigs. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...