Skip to main content

Dust to Dust

In 2011, Lubbock was listed sixth on Forbe's Most Dangerous Cities list.  I have absolutely no problem believing this little nugget of truth.  I do not, however, think it has a single thing to do with the violent crimes per capita that they claim to use as the basis for this list. 

Granted, I've witnessed several interesting things since moving here:  a cop with gun drawn in one hand and hauling a suspect through a no-tell hotel window with the other, a prostitute soliciting a john in the Walmart parking lot, etc.  (And those were just during my lunch hour - I can't help it that I work near a rougher neighborhood.)  I've been the victim of crime - you must recall the Great Coupon Binder Robbery of 2011.  (See earlier blog posts) 

No, I believe Lubbock is dangerous due to it's repeated attempts to kill me via asphyxiation.  This past week alone, there have been three "brownouts".  A brownout is when the wind kicks up all the dust and sandblasts everything in it's path.  I can affirmatively tell you that Chicago is NOT the Windy City.  A couple years of on-going drought insure that Lubbock has no shortage of sand and dust to blow about.  Perhaps you recall the "Haboob" blog?  The only thing making that day unique was that the haboob rolled in from the north in a seething, boiling mass.  Having dust and sand in the air is pretty much a natural, daily occurence here.  Lucky, lucky me, I have a dust allergy.  So now you understand why Lubbock and I are engaged in a continuing battle of wills.

What do I have in my arsenal to combat such a nefarious opponent?  Not much.  I've tried it all - over-the-counter allergy medicine, prescription-strength allergy medicine, neti-pots, spoonfuls of local honey, Vicks vapor rub on my feet at night, ear candleing - you name it.  None of these things can in any way combat the mucus tidal waves overtaking my body.  I am no longer opposed to trying a witch doctor, so if you know of a good one, please send her my way.  She can spread all the chicken's blood she needs to on my doorstep.

Even as I type this, another vicious windstorm is taking place.  I find myself confined indoors in feeble attempts to avoid yet another sinus infection.  While my doctor is a very nice lady, I have no desire to put all three of her children through college all on my own.

Lubbock is trying to kill me, of this I am certain.  And while I know that from dust we were created and to dust we will return, I really wish Lubbock would not work so hard to give me a headstart!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h