Skip to main content

Conunication Skills

No one warned me that I would need to retain a lawyer in order to raise my children. 

First, a little background:  Jake and I have an arrangement.  He receives one quarter for every "O" (Outstanding) he gets on his six-week report card.  The first report card I had to pay out close to $4.  This last one cost me over $10.  This kid likes money - he can be bribed to do much for a quarter.  And, he counts it up and makes sure I don't forget.  If I don't have it handy, he will meet me at the door of the daycare with his hand held out awaiting payment.

More background:  Jake's school has a discipline system.  He can lose a "blurt" if he blurts out answers or talks without permission.  He can lose an "out of seat" for, well, being out of his seat.  (I know, you pretty much had that one figured.)  Three blurts can mean the loss of a ticket.  Three out of seats means the loss of a ticket.  Really egregious offenses will mean the loss of a ticket, or you have to do "academies" to practice your manners.

My highly social child had lost quite a few tickets and done quite a few academies.  So, he and I made a deal:  every ticket he loses, he owes me a $1.  For three straight weeks, there has been no loss of tickets.

Now for the story:  Today I pick the child up and ask for the daily report.  He crosses his arms and says, "I'll tell you when we get home."  Uh-oh.  I was tired, and decided not to press for more info.  I figured there would be a meeting request from his teacher in his backpack. 

We get home, and he very seriously tells me that he is going to his room, where he is going to write me a report on his day.  I say, "Uh, ok."  He disappears for a bit, and returns with an envelope.  On the outside was written:  "Frum Jake, To Brindu".

And the note inside:  "I have lost to blrs and I have lost onw tikit and I had to do a ikadme deering my cimputr tim and I had to do now deering my baskit tim."  The translation took me awhile, but after some intensive consultation of the Rosetta Stone, here is what I believe it said:  "I have lost two blurts, and I have lost one ticket, and I had to do an academy during my computer time, and I had to do one during my basket time."  Tucked inside the note was a $1 bill. 

It's hard not to laugh when your offspring is looking up at you with such sad eyes.  I gave him the raised eyebrow and told him thank you for holding up his end of the deal,  but that I really wanted him to work hard on his behavior at school.  He nodded and gravely said, "Yes, I know.  I do not want to lose another dollar." 

I asked him to finish his homework and then put his backpack folder up.  He looked at me and said, "Don't you mean to put my folder in my backpack?  You need to work on your cununication skills, mama."  It does amaze me how much my six year old kindergartener can make me want to stick my tongue out at him.

Needless to say, this little note and dollar bill will be added to the keepsake box.  If I'm lucky, I'll get my ten dollars back in time for the next report card.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...