Skip to main content

Little Miss Sassy Pants

I'm often asked why Jake receives so much attention in my blog and facebook posts, and that is a relatively easy question to answer:  He is the child that does everything early - walk, talk, etc.  He's highly social and given to absorbing vocabulary at an alarming rate.  We're often left dumbfounded by his questions and even more often by his responses.  In short, he gives me plenty of fodder to write about.

Emma, however, is coming into her own.  Formerly known as "Little Miss Sunshine", she is evolving into "Little Miss Sassy Pants".  I have no idea where she gets this, but she started giving us clues that she is in no way convinced we, the parents, are in charge.  Before she could even talk, she had mastered "The Look".  I am famous for "The Look".  You know the one - the single arched eyebrow, the icy stare, the flared nostrils.  I've made grown men cry  and high school gang members duck under their desks with that look.  It took years to master.  She had it down pat by 9 mos.  One day at dinner, she was misbehaving and I levelled "The Look" on her.  She just gave it right back, and added a snarl.  This was the first sign that perhaps we were outmatched.

Some say that having an older brother means she has had to learn to defend herself, but I'm not convinced of this.  You see, she has been an instigator since day one!  Her poor brother is often found cowering behind a door just hoping his younger sister won't find him and decide it is time to practice her Ninja skills on him.  (Yes, she has recently come to the conclusion that she is a Ninja.)  She loves PowerRangers and all things involving kicking and hitting.  My Christmas tree has barely survived three direct hits.

She has a way of striding into a room, stopping, putting a hand on one cocked hip, shaking her little finger on the other hand, and letting you have whatever chewing out your probably deserve in her mind.  She is the child who will "bow up" and look you right in the eye.  You can discipline her, and she will give you a look that says, "You may win this one, but I'll be back when I'm bigger."  She knows not defeat.

There is no fear in this one, despite the efforts of her mother and father to instill some in her.  One vision I have of her and I are of us when she is a teenager, wrestling in the front yard while the neighbors call the cops.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that.  But, I think I'll  go into training, just in case.

Do not get the wrong idea, however.  She loves purple, pink, ponies, puppies, kitties, butterflies and rainbows.  She is the best cuddler in the world, and her father and I fight over who gets to snuggle with her on cold evenings.  She makes up long unintelligible songs and has a sweet, musical laugh.  She's impish, but loves hugs and "tisses".  She runs with the boys, but loves a pretty bow in her hair. 

This is a beautiful, gorgeous, adventurous, smart, fierce little girl, and I am proud of her.  I worry a little less about her being easily taken advantage of, and I hope this confidence and strength of will can be molded to help her in the future.  She comes from a long line of strong, independent women who have survived potato famines, ocean crossings, wagon trains, Indians, discrimination, dust bowls, polio, and much, much more.  She exemplifies and wears this legacy well and all signs indicate that she is ready to take on the world.  But, until I am ready to let her, I think I'll just let her cuddle up and watch The Amazing Race with me. 

Really?  You want a piece of me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds