Skip to main content

Eating Out with the Elderly

My parents have remained relatively unscathed from my blog. That is about to change.


We loaded the family up and travelled north to Amarillo for the weekend. My cousin was getting married, and we hadn’t been to see my parents for awhile.

I headed home from work and packed up the kids and the dog and loaded everything in the car. We couldn’t leave until late, so I had the kids in their pajamas and set them up with a movie in the backseat (a portable DVD player is a truly wonderful invention and blessing from God.) A quick spin through the Starbucks for a pumpkin latte, and I was good to go. A nighttime road trip used to be commonplace. All I needed was for someone to say “let’s go!”, and I grabbed the keys and off we went. Now it takes an extra-strong coffee with tons of sugar to get me two hours down the road at 10 o’clock at night.

I drove out to El Hubbo’s school to pick him up. El Hubbo had to work “security” for the high school football game – which is why we were leaving so late. I am certain that everyone feels much safer as he limps around and shouts at kids, “You stop that, or I will say stop again!” Oh, the joys of working for a small school in West Texas. When the game wrapped up and all was “secure”, we hit the highway.

We got in to Muzzy (grandma) and Oso’s (grandpa) house a couple hours later. We unstrapped the kids from their seats, and Emma didn’t even wake up as we placed her in bed. Jake came to, and realizing he had arrived at Muzzy’s started stripping clothes so he could hit the hot tub. El Hubbo demonstrated that he can still move with lightning speed when he wants to as he bee-lined it for the hot tub as well.

The morning came and with it came biscuits and gravy. (One of Muzzy’s specialties.) We laid around for a while moaning about how much we had eaten, and then decided we would go eat at the Amarillo Stockyards Café – which had received excellent coverage and reviews from Man vs Food on the Discovery Channel. Everyone was loaded into Muzzy’s car, with El Hubbo at the wheel.

First you must understand that my parents are of the fussy variety. Meaning, my mom can say the sky is blue, and dad, just to have a little fun, will tell her it is azure. They then argue about it. They are the ones giving driving instructions to El Hubbo. He is not used to their dynamic. I just sat back and watched the fun. It went something like this:

El Hubbo: “So, does anyone know where this place is?”

Oso: “You can go up here to downtown exit or you can go on up and there will be road that cuts to the right and then follow that up a ways and then turn - Hey, Dix – do you know where this place is?”

Muzzy: “Well, you can turn up ahead at the downtown exit, and it is at 103 Manhattan.”

El Hubbo: “So, take this exit?”

Oso: “Yeah, you can take this one”

Muzzy: “No! Go up ahead.”

El Hubbo: “So, this exit or the next one?”

Oso and Muzzy, “No, yes!”

I see El Hubbo grab his cap and pull it down slightly over his eyes – a sure sign that he is trying, and failing, at not getting frustrated. (Not a good thing when you are the driver.) Having much prior experience with “old people directions”, I just chuckle to myself. He takes a downtown exit, and we follow it to First Street. Oso had checked out of the conversation because there was a dog show at the convention center and several dogs were being walked outside. Much like his favorite animal, Oso is easily distracted.

With only one individual giving direction, El Hubbo relaxed a little and went where Muzzy told him. There was nothing but an empty lot next to a train track. Quickly surmising that this was not the correct location, I put the address in my google maps app on my phone, and we headed in the direction the little red dot told us to go. Muzzy made a comment about looking the address up in the phone book, and I asked why she didn’t use her fancy new phone? She then said something about being nice to old people. Jake, sweet 5 year old grandchild that he is, explained very seriously and slowly (as though talking to someone who was senile) to Muzzy that she was an elderly woman and Oso was an elderly man. The look on Muzzy’s face was priceless, and I just tried not to roar with laughter.

It is obvious that my family will go to great lengths for chicken fried steak and gravy. We pass through the neighborhood by the train tracks, where most of the drive ups you have to reach through bars on the window, and they are most likely selling more than sodas and hamburgers. We turn left at the scrap yard that looks like somewhere the mob would stash a body to be crushed up with the cars. But, up ahead we spot the stockyard!

We get out of the car, and immediately the scent of manure and grease wafts through the air. We were intent on trying this famed chicken-fry, so even the odor did not deter us. We dodged a couple semi-trucks and crossed the lot to the building.

We walk in and see that the vet office and the caf̩ were to the left. I expressed a slight concern to El Hubbo about the two offices being in such close proximity to each other, but he told me it would be fine Рat least we would know the meat was fresh.

This was truly a down-home, working cowboy caf̩. The menu consisted of beef. You could have it grilled or fried, with gravy or without. You could have your choice of potato Рbaked, mashed or French-fried, with gravy or without. That was about it. And it was divine. The gravy was real gravy. Many places make a decent chicken-fried steak, but then they top it with that nasty powdered gravy. Not here Рthis was real, true, slap-yo-mama gravy with puddles of grease floating on the top. The French fries were fresh cut and delicious. My taste buds belted out choruses of Hallelujah while my arteries sang the blues. Even Jake was impressed with the place and wielded his fork agilely when Muzzy attempted to steal a French fry. Fortunately, she is quick for an old person (excuse me, Elderly woman) and avoided having the prongs impaled on her hand.

We very much enjoyed our meal, and the general consensus was that we would highly recommend it to those of a hardy nature who would not mind crossing the tracks to the other side of town and smelling cow manure while partaking of their meal. I’m pretty sure that is a limited number of people.

Fortunately, we did not need directions to get out of the stockyards, and El Hubbo drove us all home where we spent the afternoon moaning about how much we had eaten. Until dinner time, anyway, where you will be happy to know that we refrained from eating any more gravy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds