Skip to main content

Cupcake Premonition

Yesterday, I bought a cupcake for today. 

You read that right.  Yesterday was a rough one.  Between work, pigs, dogs, kids, husband, dad.......I was worn smooth out.  And it was a full moon. 

After Bible class, we had to pick up dog food.  I looked at my watch and saw that it was 8:15 p.m.  I looked at El Hubbo and said, "We could make it to Smallcakes if you hurry."

"No, we don't need any cupcakes," he unwisely replied.

"We could make it to Smallcakes if you hurry," I repeated.

"Yes, ma'am," he said.

When we entered the store, my favorite cupcake was on display:  Wedding cake.  It is an almond-y goodness that soothes my soul and calms my nerves.  I asked the cupcake lady to put two in a box.  El Hubbo says, "But I want a Chocolately Delight." 

"That's fine," I say.  "The other one is for me for tomorrow."

"For tomorrow?" he says in a confused tone.

"Yes, for tomorrow,"  I replied.

"Uh, ok, I guess we'll take two Wedding Cakes and a Chocolately Delight," he tells her.

"And you might add an All Things Fall," I say.

He gives me the "are you sure?" look, to which I gave him the "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?" look, to which he pursed his lips and gave me the "You will be mad that I let you have three cupcakes tomorrow" look, to which I gave him the "DO YOU WANT TO DIE IN A CUPCAKE SHOP" look.

He nodded to the kind cupcake dealer.....er.....lady.

I so enjoyed the cupcake last night.  I believe I heard El Hubbo say something about how he doesn't know why I think I will need a cupcake tomorrow.  I believe it was just a premonition.

I woke up this morning, got dressed and took a deep breath before launching into the plan for the day:
1.  Go to work.
2.  Survive meetings and projects.
3.  Following last meeting, run back to office where El Hubbo has dropped off offspring so he could go to a meeting.
4.  Go get gas, praying we make it to gas station.
5.  Take offspring to get snacks.
6.  Drop Number One Son at band hall.
7.  Take Little Sunshine home to change.
8.  Go feed pigs.
9.  Drive to Dimmitt for football playoff game so we can watch Number One Son play sousaphone in band.
10.  Drive home and wait on band arrival.
11.  Get home about midnight and go to bed.

That was the plan.

What actually ended up happening:
1.  Go to work.
2.  Everyone lost their mind.
3.  Got call from school that Little Sunshine was sick and running fever.
4.  Left to get gas so I could drive to school to pick up Little Sunshine.
5.  Stopped at Dollar General (only store for miles) for powerade and other "sick supplies".
6.  Took Little Sunshine home, got her settled, fed, medicated.
7.  Went back to work.
8.  Everyone still losing their mind.
9.  Boss calls and needs picked up since her car is in shop.
10.  Picked up boss.
11.  Survived meeting.
12.  Following meeting, ran back to office and picked up Number One Son.
13.  Took Number One Son to get "lunch" since he had skipped it for UIL practice.
14.  Stopped at gas station for Number One Son to get snacks.
15.  Dropped Number One Son off at band hall.
16.  Went home, checked on Little Sunshine.
17.  Changed clothes, started cleaning off Little Sunshine's bed so she could sleep in it.
18.  Went to feed pigs.
19.  Made dinner to feed Little Sunshine.
20.  Continued cleaning and doing Little Sunshine's laundry.

For the record, two sacks of trash and three sacks of clothing donations have been hauled out of Little Sunshine's room.  And now I sit here, eating cupcake number two and contemplating cupcake number 3. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...