Skip to main content

Date Night

When Number One Son was about four, he asked me to go on a date with him.  To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.  I thought he was perhaps the most handsome thing I had ever seen, the spitting image of his daddy.  As he looked up at me with those big brown eyes, I said, "Absolutely, I would be honored!"   He grinned and went back to playing.

Date night came and his daddy helped him get all dressed up.  He was very concerned about how he was going to pay and insisted I give him the money.  So, I did.  I asked if he was going to drive, and he enthusiastically agreed.  I had to then inform him that the State of Texas might frown upon that, but he could open my door like a gentleman. 

His daddy helped strap him into his carseat, and my date and I got on the road.  Having recently discovered Olive Garden spaghetti, he decided we should go there.  We entered the restaurant and he went to the hostess stand and told them there would be two of us.  I stood behind and confirmed by shaking my head.

He proudly tried helping me into my seat at the table.  It was a good thing the chairs rolled.  He then climbed up into his booster seat in his chair.  We talked and laughed and ate spaghetti and when it was time for the check he was not bashful about letting the waiter know that HE was paying.  It was certainly one of the most memorable dates of my lifetime.

Fast-forward to tonight.  Number One Son and I have gone a few Mama-Son dates over the years, but it has been a while since our last one.  Tonight Little Sunshine had a friend's birthday party to go to and El Hubbo had an invitation to join his sister at another dinner, so Number One Son and I decided to make a date night for us. 

We've been fairly busy, so we hadn't really formalized a plan.  But, in the middle of the day I got a text, "I was thinking somewhere fast for dinner then b&n." 

If ever I needed proof that this is my son, this text would be it.  He inherited his addiction to reading from me, there is absolutely no denying it. 

I picked him up, we dropped off his sister, and we headed to grab a quick bite at Cane's Chicken.  We scored a really good parking space at Barnes & Noble, and we spent the next hour and a half perusing the shelves and settling into chairs to read.  For that one hour and a half we'd chat and talk about our books.  He'd tell me what books needed to be added to his Christmas list.  We'd laugh and joke and I would think back to that little boy who asked me on a date almost 10 years ago. 

Our date nights have evolved from a shared love of pasta to include a shared love of books......I just hope he'll never outgrow wanting to have date night with his mama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...