Skip to main content

Googling The Sermon

I have always been a staunch believer that forthright honesty is always the best policy.  Especially when it comes to church sermons.  More than once, I have outright vocally stated that I like for a preacher to "just say it like it is."  Keep it straightforward and simple.  No gussying it up or watering it down.  The truth is the truth, if we aren't uncomfortable sometimes, then we probably are not hearing what we need to hear.

I have been fortunate enough in my lifetime to have listened to many a sermon that met my preferential delivery style.  I appreciate the difficulty of the task laid before a preacher - studying and delivering a message from the Bible is a weighty responsibility.

An excellent example of such a sermon was recently delivered from the pulpit.  I sat there ready to soak it all up.  A few minutes in, the preacher mentions "sexual immorality".  I didn't even flinch, then my son in something akin to a stage whisper that could certainly be heard by everyone within the immediate four to five rows back and forward asks, "Mom, what's sexual immorality"?

I probably paled slightly.  I know I felt a little light-headed as snapped my head around to look at him and say, "SSSSHHHHHHH!!!"

I realize this didn't exactly answer his question.  So did he.  So he asked again.  Louder.

I looked at his father for backup, support, help of any kind, but he was too busy doing a horrible job of faking being asleep.  The smirk gave him away.

"SSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"But MOM, "

"SSSSHHHHHHHHHH!  We'll talk about it later!'

I'm pretty sure everyone around us was enjoying my discomfort at this point.  I turned in the direction of the pulpit, but all hope of my being able to focus had been lost.  My mind was spinning on just how I was going to get out of having to explain this concept to my nine year old.  I bowed my head to pray as this was a situation that called for prayer and guidance of the Lord if ever I saw one.  As I did so, I saw my child was trying to look up sexual immorality on the concordance of the Bible app on my phone.

I almost passed out.  Fortunately, he couldn't figure out how to spell "immorality".  I told him to stop - pay attention - or no, here, read the parable of the fishes.......ANY DISTRACTION would do.

Hoping my excellent parenting skills would not be called into question, I tried to return my attention to the sermon.  But then I began to lament the fact that my baby boy was growing up.  Someone was going to explain in probably much more graphic detail than I approved of, what all things related to sexual immorality was.  As I was working my way toward acceptance of the fact that a discussion would have to happen, I looked back at my son, wanting to see the two year old boy I adored, and instead saw my too-smart-for-his-own-good-self attempting to Google the words "sexual immorality".

I almost passed out in the pew.

I grabbed the phone, and told him DO NOT Google those words!  I can't begin, and have no desire, to imagine what might come up with such a search.

The sermon drew to a close.  And, as usual, it was good, old-fashioned, straight-forward truth from the Bible, but I found myself reconsidering my preferences.  I temporarily decided I preferred straight-forward truth when it doesn't make me have to have a talk with my baby, even if I need to.   One final prayer was said in which I know I expressed an earnest desire to have this situation pass from me.

We had barely gotten our seat-belts on in the car, when the question was asked again.  (Yes, I was hoping it would have been forgotten by then.)  El Hubbo was of no help, and I struggled with determining exactly how to say what I needed to say......but following a socratic questioning method I was able to ascertain that my son had no clue, and I was able to keep the explanation on a very, very, very surface level, much to my relief.  His innocence is in some ways still preserved.

 It was one of the most stressful Sunday mornings I have experienced in awhile, but now I realize that the eve of my child's innocence is coming.  El Hubbo and I must prep ourselves for the conversations to come that will be less surface-y in nature.

So, thanks for that, Preacher-man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...