Skip to main content

Dating is Dangerous

At dinner the other evening, Number One Son tells me he has come up with a list of ways to breakup with your girlfriend.

As I tried to recover from the shock that perhaps some little cougar was trying to steal my son's affections, I stammer out, "What?  Do you have a girlfriend?  Why didn't I know this?  Who is she?  Why do you have a girlfriend?  You aren't old enough to have a girlfriend!  NO DATING!  EVER!  DO YOU HEAR ME?"

Perhaps my machine-gun-fire rapid response was a tad bit of an over-reaction, but in my defense, I was there to eat enchiladas, not deal with the psychologically traumatic situation of a son who no longer thinks girls have cooties.

Number One Son scrunched up his nose and said, "Me?  Girlfriend?  Ewwww, no way!  Girls have cooties."  (Oh, thank goodness!!  I could now enjoy the remainder of my meal.)

He then rolled his eyes and said, "No, my friend has a girlfriend, and he asked me how he should break up with her."  I'm still a little anxious that this whole girlfriend thing may be contagious, but I was now fascinated by this story.

"So, your friend has a girlfriend he wants to break up with, but he doesn't know how?  And, he asked you how to do it?"

"Yes, but I told him all I could really tell him was where NOT to breakup with her."

"Interesting, and pray tell, what advice did you give him?"

"Well, I have a list:  1. Do NOT break up with her in a chainsaw factory."

"That seems like pretty good advice."

"Yes, I also suggested not to break up with her in a gun factory.  Or a baseball bat factory.  Or a knife factory."

"All very good suggestions.  I'm glad you could help your friend.  Eat your tamales."

I am trying (and failing) to keep a straight face at this point.  El Hubbo kept very, very quiet.

A few observations:

1. My son thinks girls can turn to homicidal maniacs at any moment.  (I think I am ok with this.)

2. My son is smart enough to consider personal safety when dealing with the emotional upheaval of the opposite sex.  (I am definitely ok with this.)

3. My son is advising other young men on how to break up, supposedly so they can pursue another girl.  My son is a gigolo adviser.  (This disturbs me somewhat.)


If nothing more, perhaps the fact that my son is aware that dating is dangerous will lead to his exercising caution in that minefield of life.  When I decide to let him.  Which is probably never.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...