Skip to main content

Chronicles of El Hubbo's Bionic Hip

Tomorrow is the Big Day!  El Hubbo heads under the knife to replace the first of what we foresee will be many of his joints.  He does not seem to appreciate my non-stop rendition of Mack The Knife, however, he does appear to be looking forward to some sort of pain relief.  I think he's truly looking forward to the two hours of uninterrupted, drug-assisted sleep - which is probably more than he's gotten in the past two years.

It has been touch-and-go with getting this done.  I almost declared it a no-go and told him he'd better cowgirl up when I got off the phone with the hospital's billing department.  They decided they would give me a "courtesy call" (at 9:30 p.m., mind you - I find nothing courteous about that time of the night).  In a far too chipper voice, the young lady, who shouted into the phone as I am sure she assumed I was 75+ and deaf (as most of her clientele and their spouses are), informed me that after insurance, etc, etc, I would be responsible for $XXXX and how would I like to take care of that?

I am barely capable of more than grunting at 9:30 p.m.  But, that sure enough woke me up.  I said, "WHAT????  HOW MUCH???? YOU WANT PAYMENT NOW????"  For half a second, I thought it might be a telephone scam.  I asked her if she could tell me what all that covered.  I grumbled about, tried to negotiate a discount, asked about payment plans, and basically dodged any financial commitment while I formulated a cost-savings plan.  I hung up with her and began my research.  El Hubbo came in the room and asked what I was doing awake.  I told him I was searching Pinterest for how to make him a hip.  He paled slightly.  I told him that based upon my extensive study of internet how-to videos that I was pretty sure I could put something together and possibly do this surgery here at home.  We could set up the folding tables in the garage on top of some painter's plastic, he could bring a saw from work - LET'S DO THIS!

His response?  "You frighten me."  He's refused to go to sleep before me ever since.  I've come to suspicion he's doping my tea at dinner.  My first clue was the morning I woke up with my face in my dinner plate.

Undeterred, I've sketched out a rope-and-pulley system to use instead of whatever traction system the hospital plans to charge me for.  And, I'm ready to keep copious notes and a list of every glove, Q-tip, hospital gown, etc. that is used to compare to the itemized statement from the hospital.  I'll take El Hubbo's vet kit as I'm sure I can create some sort of concoction to get him up and running down the hallways a lot cheaper than anything the hospital has.  I've signed El Hubbo up for a roomie to share expenses.  I will spring for someone to empty the bedpan, as there are some things one shouldn't cheap out on.

So, early in the mañana, we'll head to the hospital, where a major piece of El Hubbo's anatomy will be swapped out for a newer model.  He assures me he plans to take better care of this one, which is good as I have assured him he only gets one pro model - I've bookmarked the paper mache hip joint I found online and will be sharpening the saw for next time.

Wish him luck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h