Skip to main content

Country Customs

A recent conversation with a certain giggling girl-child has given me much laughter and cause to contemplate something that has been a natural and accepted behavior by many of my relatives.  In my musings, I have realized that this frequent activity is not something I have observed as common among my city friends, but does seem to be prevalent amongst my rural associates.  I think it is what we shall refer to as a "country custom".

A custom, by all rights is acceptable to the participating population.  For example, the eating of bugs appears on the Discovery Channel as being something many in the Asian cultures accept as delicacies.  That's fine for them.  I prefer my bugs fricasseed in the bug zapper, personally.  Or smashed in a boot heel/cement sandwich.

The country custom that some may find objectionable, but for which I draw much enjoyment is the goosing of various family derrieres.  That's right, I pinch hineys.  I remember my grandmother engaging in this form of entertainment frequently.  Someone could be focusing intently on solving a challenging math problem, leaned over the counter contemplating whether a squared + b squared really does in fact equal c squared, when the goosing grandparent would sneak up behind one and send one four feet into the air with a hearty "HEEEEEEYYYYYYY!"

I feel obligated to continue her legacy.  I love to see my sister take an unexpected high step and awkwardly look around to see who got her.  My children running down the hallway holding their "other" cheeks, giggling and screaming "You can't get my hiney!" is the perfect antidote to whatever ails me from my day.  My mother responding with a "Woo HOO! Stop it!" and then circling with her own crab-claw counter-maneuver escalates the game exponentially.

Quite simply, it is fun.  It points out that at the most basic level, we are all the same.  An unexpected goosing costs nothing but a little dignity, and is a sign of affection accepted among country folk.

So, what conversation caused me to ruminate on my favorite expression of love?  It took place during an advanced hiney-pinching session with Little Sunshine:

Me:  "What a cute little hiney!  Why did God make such a cute hiney?  Was it for me to pinch?"

Little Sunshine:  (Giggling) "No!  He made it for pooping!"

Ah, yes, my child, but he also made it for mama's pinching!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...