Skip to main content

Special Soap

When you live in West Texas, it is inevitable that you will at some point come in contact with a creature who, in gentler terms, "has passed".  Whether it be as you drive merrily down the road and are suddenly struck by the incredibly pungent odor of a dead skunk, or are the cause of a massive uprising of buzzards from the carcass of a too-slow deer.

Little Sunshine's first experience happened up close and personally in the construction site of our new home.  As it is on a lot just outside of city limits, there is a plethora of mice in the neighboring fields, and it would seem one of the new neighbor's cats wished to give us a little house-warming present.  Minus the head.

Little Sunshine came running and said, "Mama, mama, you have to see this!"  I went and, yep, the headless mouse was dead alright.  Little Sunshine squatted down and started to poke the carcass.  "Don't do that!  Don't touch it!" I yelled.  She looked up at me startled.

I squatted down across from her and over the dearly departed, and explained:  "Dead things carry diseases and lice and all sorts of bad things.  Don't ever touch something dead, ok?"  I realize my explanation may not have been completely scientifically accurate.  But, you have to realize that a slight exaggeration was completely necessary to keep my future new home from being a morgue for everything she found dead in the yard or field.

When she looked at me, then back down at the mouse, then down at her hand and started to wipe her finger on her jeans, I knew we were too late.  "Did you touch it??" I asked.  I could see her considering the possible outcomes of either a positive or negative answer.  "No?" she said hesitantly.  "Ok, well, don't touch it because I don't want you to have diseases.  I'd have to make you sleep outside."  She looked at me with horror as I walked off.

A few minutes later, she presented herself in front of me, head bowed, lip stuck out and quivering.  "Mama, do you really get diseases from touching dead things?"

"Why, did you touch the dead thing?"

She looked up at me with the saddest face you've ever seen, closed her eyes and nodded yes.

"Oh, Emma!" I sighed.  "Well, I've heard that there is some special soap that might, just maybe, get rid of the diseases.  I don't have any right now, so you will just have to put your hand in your pocket and not touch anything until we can get home."

"Ok", she said sadly.

Alright, alright, admittedly, I started to feel bad.  But not that bad.  I took her home, and made a big production of mixing "special soap" to wash her hands.  (It was quite fortunate that I had a spot on the carpet that needed addressing, and I needed to mix up some of my spot remover.)  I put on some gloves and asked to see her hand.  "Well, it looks like maybe we've caught it in time.  I don't see any mold or where your skin is about to fall off."  She examined her hand closely.  It was hard not to laugh as I washed her hand in special soap and sternly warned her to never, never touch a dead mouse again.

Everything was good until we went out to check the construction of the house a few days later.  As I strolled what would eventually become our dining room, Little Sunshine banged on the window:  "Mama!  Do you have any special soap with you?"

Sigh.  Guess I will have to figure out a different way to keep the dead vermin out.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...