Skip to main content

Who Needs Boys? She Can Win By Herself!

Well, Little Sunshine is at it again.

She has begun her new T-Ball season, and all indications are that she loves it.  What she does not love are the boys she must share the field with.

Her very first game, she ran to second base, where a poor unsuspecting boy stood squarely on the bag because his coach had told him to play on second.  And, he took that literally.  Emma's coach told her to get on second.  And, she took that literally.  She runs up to him, and he just looked at her.  She stood there for one second, and we thought a showdown was sure to ensue.

I was proud of the fact that she did not employ her fabulous right hook.  Instead, she turned around with her back facing him, stuck out her booty, and used what the good Lord gave her to push him off the base.  The poor boy looked up at her a little confused, not sure what to do next.  She glowered down at him, with hands on hips, Queen of the Mountain.  (Or, second base.)

Her natural feistiness on the field has apparently drawn the attention of an amorous young teammate.  Emma has established among her team that her spot on the bench is the very first one, closest to the gate to go on the field.  She runs straight to it, puts down her glove and water bottle, and looks around to dare anyone from trying to encroach on her territory.  In her steadfast refusal to move, she was joined by the young man, who made several attempts to express his adoration with a kiss.  Hearing much laughter, we turn to see Emma pushing, shoving, and declaring emphatically, "This is NOT a wedding and WE ARE NOT GETTING MARRIED!"  Her scorn did not seem to have much affect on the kissing bandit, and Emma eventually spent the majority of the rest of her time in the dugout with her glove over her face.  Recommendations to her that she move to another location in the dugout went unheeded, as she does not believe in negotiating with terrorists.  Her father and I have only requested a copy of the young man's bank statement before we weigh in on whether Emma will marry him or not.  (Note, we would be more concerned, but as mentioned before, she has a fabulous right hook, and is definitely anti-boy right now.  We'd worry more if she WANTED him to kiss her.)

Despite the harassment, she seems to love the diamond, and that makes me one very happy ex-softball player!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...