Skip to main content

Tour of Texas

It's always difficult to not freak out when your child utters his or her first expletive.  No matter how hard you try to shield them from vulgar language, and no matter how hard you try to not freak out when they invariably bust out with one of the really, really bad ones in public, it is just going to happen.

El Hubbo and I have managed fairly well to remain calm and attempt to stress the seriousness to our children of not using many of the words they will overhear or learn from their friends.  I've even been known to get up from a table in a restaurant and ask the people next to us to watch their language.  We relocated from our seats at a certain college baseball stadium.

We've taken extra precautions to edit our own language, which is difficult when one has just broken one's toe against the foot of the bed.  (Yep, speaking from experience.)  El Hubbo, in his extraordinarily creative way, has more than once had a standard household incident that causes immediate and severe pain (stepped barefoot on legos/hot wheels, rammed a pencil in his foot, had a cowboy boot-wearing child stomp on his toe, etc. - you get the idea - no one's foot is safe in our house) reduce him to a silent scream, typically followed by the start of a highly inappropriate one-word descriptive of his thought on the matter, but the stern-narrowed eyes of his wife cause him to mid-word change course to a more acceptable phrase:  SAN ANTONE!!!!

Mention San Antonio around our children and they will run and duck for cover.  They will peep around the hallway wall to see which of their left-behind toys was the primary offender, and if it is their sibling's, offer said sibling up in sacrifice.  I fear my children will never know what a beautiful city San Antonio can be, as it will forever be associated with their father crumpled in anguish and threatening to throw away all their toys.

SAN ANTONE has become a regular expression of frustration by El Hubbo.  Especially when he is confused and confounded by the lack of common sense exhibited by his offspring.  (I can't help that they take after him!)  I have visions of him as an old man, wandering the halls of a retirement home, shaking his head and muttering "San Antone, San Antone, San Antone" over and over.  It's not hard to envision as he pretty much does that now.

The other day, however, El Hubbo instructed Jake to go out of our bedroom and do something.  I can't remember what.  (You'll understand in a minute.)  Jake was watching t.v., which essentially means he can't hear you as moving pictures are as fascinating to him as fire was to the cavemen.  Next we hear, "JACOB - DID YOU HEAR ME?  SAN ANTONE!"  Jake looks at his father, and in typical childish rebellion, throws his hands up defensively and says, "Alright, Alright!  I'm going!"  He leaves the room, and El Hubbo hears him mutter:  "EL PASO!"

After the shock wore off, we could not help but collapse in laughter.  The original sin was forgotten as the more we thought about "EL PASO!" the funnier it got.  We figure we'll all just pick a town in Texas to express our frustration.  Some are more suited to it than others - "FREDERICKSBURG" is a little difficult to add the proper tone of exasperation.  "MIDLAND" just doesn't sound frustrating enough.  "SWEETWATER!"  nope.  I think I shall go with "HOUSTON!" as it plays nicely between clenched teeth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h