Skip to main content

Psycho Meters and Chia Pets

El Hubbo and I are fans of the show, "Shark Tank".  People walk into a room of rich folks and try to convince them to invest in their company/product/idea.

Some of the ideas are downright ridiculous (such as the "ARKEG" - a combo arcade game and kegerator), and some are ingenious (such as the magnetic eyeglass holder).  As with most things we do, we often begin to look accusingly at each other and asking, "Why can't YOU come up with something like that?"

Well, folks, I am here to tell you that I have the perfect (and timely) idea that is sure to garner me both fame and riches (and possibly a trophy husband).

Given the preponderance of ridiculous debate regarding gun laws, I would like to address one HUGE flaw I see in most arguments.  How many times in the last month alone have you heard that we must expand gun purchase background checks to make sure guns are not sold to the mentally ill?  I ask you, just how would you enforce that?  There is currently no "Crazy Person" database that I am aware of.  You cannot ask the buyer if you can see their "Psycho Card".

I suppose you could add questions in a similar vein to the old airport "Do you have a bomb in your bag?" security checks.  "Are you now or have you ever been diagnosed with a mental illness that causes you to want to shoot someone? Check Yes or No."  This will probably work just as well as the airport question did.

So, since there is not a Looney Database, and federal privacy laws would prevent one from being developed anyway, there would be a defined need to identify this subset of the population when they go to legally purchase weaponry (guns, knives, cars, baseball bats, rat poison, ninja stars, etc.)

Here is the solution:  The WTM Psycho Meter!  Based upon the fail-safe principle that "Crazy people don't blink," all individuals will be asked to stand before the counter and look directly into the eyes of the salesman.  The salesman will then count the number of times the individual blinks in a two minute time period.  That number will then be compared to the Less-Than-Scientifically developed Crazy Scale:

100+  Times = May purchase gun, but only eligible for rubber bullets
50 - 100 Times = Almost normal, ok to sell
20 - 49 Times = Normal, ok to sell
5 - 19 Times = May purchase nerf model
0 - 4 Times = Certified Psychopath - Run (don't walk) away as far and as fast as you can! (And take the gun with you!)

There you go, a way to enforce what is currently a completely unenforceable, ridiculous suggestion.  But, then again, there are a lot of ridiculous things out there making lots of people lots of money.......look at the Chia Pet.  'Nuff said!


Comments

  1. Favorite Brother-n-lawsJanuary 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM

    Me, myself, and I all agree that the ARKEG is the best idea or invention ever and we are predicting it will sweep across every mancave in the nation!!...well...maybe just ours!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h