Skip to main content

Alien Bait

There comes a point in every parent's life when desperation for control of the homestead leads them to parenting methods many non-parents, or parents with perfect, abnormally well-behaved freak-children would question. 

We find ourselves locked in an on-going battle with our children to keep them sleeping soundly in their beds throughout the night.  Forget the whole night, it would just be nice to have them go to their beds peacefully for a change.  No fighting, arguing, whining, etc.  No leaving their rooms to pad all the way across the house to our room to inform us that their head hurts, or their feet hurts, or their leg hurts and the only cure (obviously) is sleeping in our room.  No dramatic declarations of how much they would love us (so much more than normally) if only, only, they could sleep in our bed.  No crocodile tears as they look at us with hound-dog eyes and pouting lips as they explain how much they will miss us and couldn't possibly go all night without us.  No lengthy monologues on the dangers lurking in the closet or under the bed from which they need our protection.

You get the idea. 

Recently, there was quite a windstorm blowing outside - it grew louder and louder and fortunately, the worst of it was blowing against my bedroom wall.  As Little Sunshine launched into her argument for why she should spend the night with us, I looked at her with eyes wide and said, "Is that aliens, I hear?" 

She immediately hushed.  She listened.  Then she whispered, "Mama, what is that?"  "I think it is aliens coming - you had better go hide in your room!  What if they come in here?"  She was a blur in a Dora nightgown as she jumped off the side of my bed, hit the ground mid-stride, and slammed my bedroom door shut behind her.  I looked at El Hubbo.  He looked at me.  "I can't believe that worked," he said.  We waited to see if she would come back to investigate.  She did not. 

El Hubbo started laughing.  He swore our little girl will need therapy because of me, however, I pointed out that we should reconsider her inclusion in the will as she was all too ready to leave us behind to be kidnapped by aliens.  He had to admit I had a point.

I also had a new weapon.  For two nights, we had no visitor to our bed.  Clothes were picked up, toys put away.  I only needed to remind her that at any time the aliens could return, and they really, really liked little girls who didn't listen to their mama.  I even started calling her "Alien Bait".  It was a blissfully peaceful few days.  You may judge me for my parenting methods, but not tripping over stuffed animals and not gathering dirty panties from all over my house makes me not really care what you think.

But, then the little darling surprised me with this, "Mama, did you know aliens suck your brains?  Zombies eat your brains, but aliens suck them."  So, she was doing her homework.  This is the child most likely to conquer a small country and install herself as dictator. 

The next day, she dressed herself all in pink.  Pink jeans, pink longsleeved shirt, pink shoes, pink socks, etc.  She looked at me and said, "Mama, if those aliens come, I will just look at them and go:  huuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkkssssssssss."  The noise she made was somewhat like the warning sound a mama cat or perhaps a cougar makes to warn off  someone nearing their cubs.  She had her arms raised and hands up ready to attack.  She made a kicking motion and gave me a defiant look.  "I'm brave like Merida," she said.  "I'll fight those aliens!"  In her mind, the power of pink would be too much for the aliens to handle.

I knew it was too good to last. 

Now, the excuse for staying in my bed is to protect ME from the aliens.  Fare thee well, sweet rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h