Skip to main content

Checkout Smackdown

If you have read many of my blog articles, you know my love of a coupon. Recently, I was shopping in a local store and on the end cap there was a display of large coloring pages featuring Dora and Batman. I thought this would be a good little treat for the urchins.

Imagine my joy when I saw on the Dora package a coupon for $1.00 off a package of crayons. What better item to go with coloring sheets than crayons? I was certain the kids would enjoy those much more than the pens or highlighters I usually scrape up. I could hear the chants of "Best Mama Ever!" I find the crayons and toss them in my basket and finish my shopping.

I was greeted in a less than enthusiastic manner by Faye, the checkout lady. Faye was an older lady and had evidently grown resentful of her employment situation. I thought I would be nice and I laid out my items on the belt and set the various coupons alongside the items.

Faye rang up my goods, and when she came to my crayons she scowled even deeper and said, "This coupons is expired". I replied, "Really? But you just saw it was on the package-I pulled it right off the shelf.".

"Well, I can't help that," she said in her oh-so-tacky way. Until that point in time, I had felt slightly sorry for ol'Faye. I had done my best to smile and be friendly and keep my tone upbeat. All that energy was wasted (for those who know me know that I'm generally an all-business, straight-talking, no-nonsense kind of gal). I rose to my full, intentionally intimidating height and leveled a cool gaze on little ol'Faye.

"Since your store has those coupons on the items on the shelf, and since there are many more back there, I believe you need to honor it," I tell her.

"Well I can't so do you want the crayons or not?"

I could not believe she said that. Little did ol'Faye know she had just poked the bear. I made up my mind right then and there that I WOULD be getting my dollar off that box of crayons, even if it meant El Hubbo had to sell a kidney to bail me out of jail.

"I do want the crayons, and I want the dollar off, so why don't you go ahead and call a manager on over here?". I had by this point assumed the hand on hip stance and was not far from shaking my finger in her face. We were half a step from def con redneck.

She rolled her eyes. Oh, yes she did. And all 5'2" of her stood there glaring at me while we waited. All 5'10" of me glared back. A lady had pulled her basket up behind me, and I turned to her and told her she might want to go to another register as we could be here awhile. She took a look at the standoff between me and ol'Faye and wisely cleared out.

One minute, two minutes, three minutes passed. No manager came. Ol'Faye and I were locked in a staredown. She finally blinked and took the crayons and the coupon over to another register. I watched intently as she explained to another lady the situation. The lady looked up at me, then I saw her whisper something to ol'Faye and ol'Faye frowned even deeper and shuffled back.

Without a word, she came back and rang up the Crayons. I knew what had happened, but I wanted to hear it. "What about the coupon?" I asked.

"I took a dollar off the price of the box, just like my supervisor told me to," she said.

"Ok, thank you," I replied. "But, you will have others with this same issue as long as you leave those on the shelves. You might want to go remove them if you don't want to honor them. I'd hate for someone else to go through this for just a dollar". Yes, that was said with a straight face even though I was laughing internally. She deserved a lecture.

I'm pretty sure I could read ol'Faye's mind with the look she gave me, however, it is not my habit to put profanity in my blog, so I will just leave it to your imagination.

Ol'Faye was ready to be shed of me; she didn't even hand me my bags-I had to turn the turntable to get them all. But, I laughed all the way to the car, one dollar richer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...