Skip to main content

Servitude Attitude

El Hubbo is gone to another stock show.  It is also Spring Break and our home continues to be a battleground for the willful and consistently annoyed under-7 population.  I don't really get Spring Break, but I did choose to take a couple vac days to spend catching up around the house.  I had the perfect plan - the kids would be at the daycare - El Hubbo is in Houston, so I could lay out my to-do list and really whittle down on the incredible long list of things that never seem to get done around here.

I kept my little plan underwraps.  You see, if El Hubbo were alerted to the fact that I was taking a couple days off, he would have scheduled out my entire day, filling it with errands and chores for him.  I have learned that lesson - so now my vacation days are Top Secret:  Need to Know Status only.  It's not as though he takes vacation days and spends them cleaning closets, mopping floors and wiping floorboards, sorting out the kid's toys, packing up clothes they have outgrown for the garage sale, etc.  His vacation days involve rigorous activities such as reaching over for the remote to the tv in the bedroom to watch midget wrestling for an hour or so, followed by getting up to go to the kitchen for a snack then strolling to the recliner to watch back-to-back episodes of Alaska Troopers.  If he's really lucky, there is a Sons of Guns marathon on.  Whew! That schedule just wears me out typing it.

Jake would rather follow in his father's footsteps when it comes to vacation days.  As he's grown older, there have been some chores he has been assigned to do - especially when his father is out of town.  The chores are extensive:  feed Rocky and put him outside in the morning, pick up toys/clothes in room, put away folded laundry, take trash bags to the garage.  Wow.  Exhausting stuff, that is.  This week has been quite the battle as he has decided to rebel against doing his chores.  One such battle ended with Jake informing me that he felt "like I'm just a servant for you and daddy!" 

You can imagine how I felt.  Really?  A servant.  Ya think?  Did someone clue him in to the fact that parents really only have children to have someone to do the chores they don't want to do?  I could feel my temper rising.  This precocious, spoiled, little child of mine thinks he's just a servant.  It was time to lay a little knowledge on the brat (I can call him that, he's mine.)  It is moments like this that cause lions to eat their young:  "Jake!"  I roared.  "If you think this pouting, whining, nonsense is going to work, you have another thing coming!  Who fixed your dinner?  Who washed your clothes?  Who vacummed, swept, mopped, dusted?  Who did the dishes?  Who cleaned up your nasty, stinking bathroom?  I ask you to FEED YOUR DOG, and you decide to throw a fit and tell me you feel like a servant?!  You think you are a servant?  I can make sure you feel like one!"  At this point, I am wandering around the house like a crazy woman, yelling at the walls and sounding exactly like my mother did thirty-plus years ago.  I'm pretty sure the ranting continued for another good five minutes as I walked around putting things away and slamming drawers.  Funny thing about me in these states - I get a weird Irish accent.  Emma follows me to my room, and I hear her say, "Mama, why are you talking like that?"

As the first rush of adrenaline subsided, I returned to his room, where the ungrateful wretch was hiding, having figured out that perhaps he had crossed a line, or maybe he really had driven me to the looney-bin. 

"Son," I say. (I was calmer at this point.  Ok, maybe not calmer - I'm pretty sure I had the look of a gangster boss who had just found out his mortal enemy had crossed his territory.  Controlled fury might be a better description.)  "I do not appreciate your attitude.  Everyone in this house has chores and responsibilities.  As you grow older, you will have more of them.  I serve you and Emma and Daddy.  You will serve me, daddy and Emma.  We will all serve each other so that we can take care of all the things God has blessed us with.  If you choose not to do this, then you will not continue to enjoy these blessings.  Understand?"  (Imagine finger-pointing and providing emphasis to each word.)

He looked up at me, and asked, "Which blessings?  My video games or my toys?"  Obviously, he was trying to decide if he could do without some of the blessings.  "All of them.  Nothing but a bed and a dresser in your room, and you will still have to do all of your chores, even if I have drag your little hiney around the house to get them done."  I reply.  He thought a minute and decided maybe feeding the dog was not such a bad thing to have to do.

I couldn't help but think of Bill Cosby, and I have more than once thought about parts of his comic routine and how my life and kids exemplify them.  His line, "I made you, I'll make another" kept coming to mind.  You'll be happy to know that Rocky has been fed, the laundry is put away, and the toys are picked up.  Jake is fine and continues to be blessed.  For now.  I'm  pretty sure that we'll have to keep working on this servitude attitude for a while longer as neither of my children give up any fight that easily. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds