Skip to main content

Bibliophile Familia

I am no foreigner to the various names one calls a lover of books:  bibliophile, bookworm, nerd, etc.  I am guilty on all accounts.  El Hubbo quickly realized early in our marriage that books were to me as crack was to an addict.  My dealer's name was Barnes and Noble.   While this makes me an interesting Trivial Pursuit partner, it can dent the old pocketbook if one is not careful. 

El Hubbo put me on a strict book budget, and I had to resort to nefarious means to get my fix - including using my children.  All gift-giving occasions give me an excuse to head to my dealer to "pick something up for them" - and, of course, sneak in a book or two for mama.  On the occasion of their birthday or for very special rewards, they get to actually go visit the dealer with their mama - and of course, mama usually gets something special too.  It works for me.

I will read ANYTHING.  Almost.  I do draw the line at racy novels.  But I am no respecter of most genres - I love westerns, mysteries, romance, classics, fiction and non-fiction, action, spy-adventure, humor, true crime, general fiction, children's, short story, etc.  I am absolutely COMPULSED to read.  I have been known to have three to four books going at the same time - one kept by the bed, one in my purse, one in the car and one in my office.  The invention of the Nook and iPad have only exacerbated this little problem of mine as now literally thousands of books are at my fingertips at any given time.

You just never know when you may have a spare second to squeeze in a couple paragraphs.  Waiting in a long line at the "fast food drive through"?  No problem.  Stuck in a non-moving traffic on the freeway?  Covered.  (Granted, not a problem for me much anymore now that I've left the big city for west Texas.)  Sitting in the doctor's office?  I'm set.  Get the idea?

So, you can imagine how thrilled I am to see my addiction has been genetically passed on.  Jake, as a kindergartner, has become a book fan and has begun emulating his mother's tendency to carry books about.  The other night, he turned the overhead light on in the car and read his sister a book as we were driving home from church.  He gets super excited everytime the teacher sends home another book order form - and he knows to bypass dad and head straight to his enabling mother. 

The school sent home the fourth book order of the year the other day.  Jake was ready for me when I picked him up - he had already gone through the twenty-one pages of book listings and identified his first round selections by circling them with a pen.  Knowing that he probably wouldn't be able to convince even his bibliophile mother to get him ALL of his first-round picks, he had gone through and narrowed the choices to his top 16.  I was so proud as I reviewed his choices and found the type of diversity that reassures me that there is no doubt he is my son.  Everything from a book called Remembering the Titanic, to a children's historical book about Abe Lincoln were included.  Of course, all good boys need Star Wars, Pokemon, and Power Rangers books.  And, his curious nature comes out with a couple selections on worms and spiders.  (Although I can probably do without his becoming too fond of spiders.)

All signs point to Emma also having this ailment.  She loves to look at books and will make up stories for the pictures she sees.  I fear that El Hubbo will have to get a second job to support his family's habit.  I would be willing, but I have all these books to read, and so there just isn't time to get another job.  And, don't be fooled - he reads at least half of the books I read - which means he may manage his addiction slightly better, but he is not innocent!  (Addicts love to point out the faults of others.)  Well, gotta go - I just picked up a new book on Grace O'Malley - Ireland's Pirate Queen - I'm pretty sure it will be chock-full of useless information.  I can't wait!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h