Skip to main content

Bedtime for Babies

Bedtime has evolved into a dramatic performance that is sometimes Oscar-worthy.  Take the other night, for instance.

Little Sunshine comes in to my room, where I have already collapsed following a full day of work followed by a full evening of stellar parenting.  (Ha.)  "Mama, there are monsters in my room."  I reply, "No there's not.  Daddy scared them all away."  She comes back with, "But I need hope?"  Now that was a new, and creative one.  "Hope?" I ask.  She says, "Uh huh."  Well, "What are you hoping for?"  She looks left and then right, obviously working out her plan on the fly.  "Well, but it will hurt my leg."  Apparently someone forgot to tell us that logical progression of reasoning does not apply to kids.  Not knowing what else to do, I jump right over to this path of thought.  "How will it hurt your leg, baby?"  "Well, but there's a scratch." 
I had just bathed the child, and had there been a major gaping wound that prevented her from going to bed, I'm pretty sure I would have noticed.  But, curious as to where this almost-four-year-old would go with this argument, I went right along.  "A scratch?  Where's your scratch baby?" 

She barely contains an evil, knowing grin, definitely assuming she is near victory, as she crawls over me and proceeds to crawl under the covers.  (Once embedded, it is  difficult to remove the little terrorists.)  I ask again, "Where's your scratch?"

She checks one leg, and then the other.  She decides she is ok, but is hoping I have forgotten all about the reason she is now in my bed.  She settles in to watch some tv.  Now, I was watching CSI:Miami, and I'm pretty sure that was not appropriate for my precious darling, especially when we sometimes think we should sleep with one eye open when she is around.  I guess I'll become really worried when she starts taking notes.  I hustled her off to her bed, much to her dismay.

Round two started not much later.  "My bed makes my belly hurt."  "Well, baby, this bed will make your belly hurt."  I'm sure you can picture her clutching her belly, her lip quivering.  "No, it won't, " she cries.  At this point, I am tired.  As El Hubbo had abstained from the battle to this point, I decided it was time to tag out and let him have some fun.  "Ask your daddy."

She takes one look at him, and tries one of her best ploys.  "Daddy, I wanna give you cuddles."  And, cue the tears.  Oh the humanity.  The wailing goes full-blast, and then she looks up to see if it is working.  "It hurts!"  As the apple of his eye stands there crying, El Hubbo says, "What would make it feel better?"  She says, "A drink of your water."  So the Sucker, I mean, El Hubbo gives her a drink, and asks, "Do you feel better?"  She comes back with "My arm hurts!" 

At this point I am realizing that I may never know if Horatio is going to catch the bad guy.  It's definitely going to be a long night.  We hustle her back to bed.

And,  right on our heels ( I hadn't even managed to get my covers back over me) here she comes.  She marches right in and as she is passing the bed, "I gotta go pee in your bathroom."  Well, obviously, as the restroom that is right next door to your bedroom for which we have a fancy nightlight to allow you all-night access to potty facilities is definitely not the best option for you to relieve yourself.

Not to be outdone, Jake comes out.  Being much older, and much more suave, he decides he will try this approach, "Mama, sometimes I just lay in my bed and I start thinking about you and daddy, and I just have to come give y'all hugs and kisses."  Smooth, right?  You gotta hand it to him - that's pretty good.  It be even smoother if he didn't have the cheshire grin plastered to his face.  He's a little too over-confident in his smooth-talking abilities.

So, that is our bedtime routine.  In case you were wondering, it was after midnight before Horatio caught the bad guy, and Miami was safe again.

Comments

  1. Jake never ceases to surprise me! He is hilarious. I used to think to myself sometimes when Jake would whip out a smooth comment, "man, this kid needs to go to Kindergarten before he outsmarts me!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...