Skip to main content

I Want To Be A Mariachi Singer

Yeah, before we get around to addressing my new-found career path, let's backtrack to how we got there.  Or here. In San Antonio.  Yep, West Texas Mama went east (and a little south) and found herself in San Antonio.

On occasion I travel for work, and this was one of those times.  Nothing says fun like a conference for admissions and registrar officials.  Whoo!  Wild times ahead!  We'll discuss state legislative requirements for meningitis shots and Federal privacy requirements for educational records!  I know you are jealous, it's ok, you don't have to tell me. 

I boarded the plane in good ol' Lubbock and headed southeast.  Everything was fine except for a little turbulence between Dallas and San Antonio.  Ok, maybe a lot of turbulence.  I had elected to sit in the emergency aisle and had informed the steward that there was nothing to worry about - I would make sure that door was open in an emergency.  I had deemed the level of turbulence to be adequate to equate to an emergency, but the steward and two of his companions disagreed and managed to pull me back from the door before I opened it in midflight. 

Once on the ground, I was released from my restraints and allowed to proceed to the rental car station.  Little of note happened as my office travel companion and I managed to find our hotel downtown by the river.  We parked the car and checked into the hotel. 

Two of my favorite things about traveling for work is that I often get to stay in a nicer hotel than I would generally book if I were footing the bill, and I get my own room.  Which means I get my own bed.  Which means mama gets some good sleep.  This often confuses my officemates as they like to go explore the town at night, but I can generally be found in bed asleep by 9:00.  Sometimes 8:00.  And I thoroughly enjoy every peaceful, quiet moment.  No munchkins crawling over me to get in the middle, and then elbowing me through the night.  No one watching TV until 2:00 in the morning.  I am queen of the bed.  It is MINE, ALL MINE!!!

Speaking of the munchkins, Emma made sure to get me an early start on homesickness by telling me on the phone that, "It is dark outside, mommy.  It is time you came in the house."  A few tears were shed as I wished I could cuddle her up - I might have even put up with her elbowing that night if I could have been there to hug her right then.  But then I looked at the large, comfortable, clean bed and mostly got over it.

So, yes, that night I slept.  Soundly.  The next day I attended various sessions and received much of educational value.  A two-hour lunch break afforded me the opportunity to eat at one of my favorite restaurants, Saltgrass Steak House.  MMMMM.  YUMMY.  I was seated outside on the patio overlooking the river.  A gentle rainstorm passed over, but fortunately I was under the overhang.  Sadly, however, my waitress forgot to put my order in.  So, I sat there for quite awhile.  But, given the peaceful surroundings, I didn't really care. 

I then walked one block to that bastion of Texan history, the Alamo.  I perused the monument, checked out the gift store, and came out with my mommy-guilt-gifts:  a bracelet with an Alamo charm for Emma and a coonskin cap for Jake.  I can't wait for him to put that on.  Definite photo op coming.

More education during the afternoon.  One thing I had forgotten about southern areas of Texas - the humidity.  I had curled my hair and attempted to look nice for my fellow professionals, but by lunch, the curl was gone.  Oh well. 

The conference committee had planned a special event for Monday night, and while I am generally one to shy away from such gatherings, I decided to check it out.  A long walk up and down stairs was involved, but fortunately, I did not pass out along the river.  I'm pretty sure the homeless guys would have made room for me if I had, however.

As we neared the site, I could hear mariachis in the distance.  It's such happy music.  I began to hum along and decided that I wanted to be a mariachi.  You get to wear a fancy outfit and belt out music at the top of your lungs.  I started to take note of what I would need to forge forward in this new career choice.  Ability to sing loud.  Check.  (If you know me, you know I can belt it out with the best of them.  I do a pretty good impersonation of Ethel Merman.  Ethel, however, was not a mariachi.)  Love for outfits with silver conchos.  Check.  (I have a closet full of silver conchos left from my rodeo days.)  Band of supporting players of trumpets and guitars, etc.  Hmmmm.  Have to work on that one - note:  schedule Emma for trumpet and Jake for guitar lessons.  Ability to sing in spanish.  Hmmmm.  Note:  get spanish lessons.  Ok, perhaps this new career path will take a little more research and work.  I'll need a good name.  Maybe Muy Grande Chica Blanca and her Munchkinos?

The event was fun and featured good food, good music and folklorico dancers.  Which was also entertaining, however, I do not have a desire to be a folklorico dancer.  Mariachis are definitely cooler.  I managed to sample the food, and I got all the lemonade I could drink.  The lemonade stand was the easy one to find - there was no line.  Free margaritas and beer also was served, however, I do not drink, which is fortunate because there were long lines for those and that would have made me cranky.

It was nearing my bedtime as the folklorico dancers finished their performance, and soon thereafter, I saw the white folk hit the dancefloor- which is never a pretty sight.  Definitely time for me to make an exit.  I ducked and dodged my way out.  Along the way home, I came to a store that advertised a 30% sale and was still open.  It had a random assortment of stuff - indian folk art, talismans of unknown origin, glass blown sculptures.  While I needed nothing in there, I cannot pass up that kind of sale, and I ended up walking out with a scarf and a hand-painted Christmas ornament.  I continued on to my hotel room.  Did I mention I like to sleep?  More sleep was had.  Blessed, sweet sleep.

Tuesday brought more sessions, more information, more education.  Near the end of the day, I planned an escape with a co-worker.  We headed north for a little hunting expedition - at the outlet malls.  I had a 30% Coach coupon in hand and was on a mission to bag a little Christmas gift for my honey.  Correction - I was on a mission to bag a little Christmas gift for me, from my honey.  Ladies, I highly recommend doing your own Christmas shopping - you are never disappointed with the gift! A wallet and two whisks later.  (Le Crueset wasn't far from the Coach store.  They also gave me a 30% coupon - a coupon mustn't be wasted.)  I'm noticing a trend on my discounts - I definitely need to seek greater than 30% discounts.

We returned to the hotel with our purchases.  My co-worker had a reception to attend, and I struck out in search of dinner.  I walked a huge loop around downtown only to end back up at Saltgrass Steak House.  Obviously I miss this place, and since Lubbock doesn't have one, I indulged again.

Fat and happy, another night of sleep awaits me, and I can't wait to get it started.  And, I go home tomorrow - and I am ready.  Although, I have been informed that karaoke is taking place in the ballroom tonight - maybe I can get a jumpstart on my mariachi career.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h