Skip to main content

They Called It "Haboob"

     At 4:55 p.m. the skies were clear.  I left campus and headed to the daycare to pick up the munchkins.  By 5:15 we were home, and it was a little breezy, but nothing remarkable.  By 5:30 the skies were red - not dusty brown, but red.  Like fury from the sky red.  Like Marilyn Monroe's lipstick red.  You get the picture.  75 mph winds pummeled the house.  We hurriedly got the dog in lest the fence blow down, and Rocky go airborne, never to be seen again.

     Folks, I've lived in West Texas for a LONG time.  I've never seen anything like it.  Neither had most others.  Reports are that if you weren't alive in the Dust Bowl, you've never seen it.  Apparently this is common in Saudi Arabia, and there, wind gusts of 30 - 40 mph will gather up a wall of dust.  You've probably seen it in the movies, or perhaps in Iraqi war coverage - it tumbles and boils and roils and picks up both speed and height.  In Arabic, it is called a "haboob".

     The first time I heard "haboob" yesterday was in a teaser for the nightly news.  The face of the female anchor was priceless as she spit out "haboob".  I bet all the cameramen and her male co-anchor got quite a kick out of her having to say the word "haboob".  I like the word "haboob".  I've said "haboob" alot today.  Haboob is my new favorite word.  I shall now use "haboob" over and over to describe the rest of the related events.

     El Hubbo and I watched and took pictures of the haboob.  The haboob was quite scary, but not scary enough to keep us from eating dinner.  El Hubbo then started to receive calls about the school's ag farm, and how the haboob was causing damage.  We finished dinner and then we packed up the kid's in the car and headed out to check on the haboob's path of destruction. 

     We managed not to blow of the road as we drove facing into the haboob.  Upon arrival, we noticed the haboob had blown down the sign over the entrance to the farm.  The haboob had also taken one calf barn and flipped it completely over.  Another barn's pieces were strewn across the pasture, and the haboob had twisted up much of the tin and metal posts.  A third barn had obviously decided to ride the haboob to Mexico.  What could be done to limit any further haboob-caused damages was done by El Hubbo and some of the parents and students who had animals out there.  Fortunately, the haboob did not hurt any of the animals.

     Only a haboob could generate so much excitement amongst generally stoic and taciturn West Texans.  In every paper and on every station, haboob is mentioned multiple times.  El Hubbo was even interviewed about the haboob by the local news station.  He is not as big a fan of the word "haboob" as I am, and stuck to the more mundane, "windstorm".  At least he didn't sound like a big boob when he talked about the haboob.  Who knew his 15 seconds of fame would all be centered around a haboob? 

     I do realize that I won't be able to utilize haboob in most sentences beyond today.  The expiration date for haboob has just about passed.  But, what immature joy the word haboob has brought me.  Fortunately, the haboob caused primarily only property damage and for that we are grateful, because this haboob could have been a much worse haboob. 

(Just for the record, in this blog alone, haboob appears thirty-two times, thirty-three if you count the title.  I do love that word.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds