Skip to main content

SHARK WEEK

   So, it's Shark Week on Discovery Channel.  And, while I know that watching these shows only amplifies my irrational fear that sharks will attack me in the local swimming hole, (Granted the odds are low since we live in land-locked, dry, dusty West Texas) I cannot tear myself away.  I listen to Mike Rowe's deep voice telling me about the jaws and the various types of sharks, and I see them breach out of the water and eat a poor, defenseless seal and I know I should change the channel, but I cannot.
   And, then my mind starts to wander around, and let me tell you, my mind can move at warp speed from subject to subject so that within seconds you would have no idea how I landed on the current thought.  And the thought I landed on tonight was how work sometimes reminds me of shark-infested waters.  Here I am swimming along, not really wanting or needing anything but to be free to do my job and out of nowhere, a shark attacks and takes a bite out of me.  So frustrating, and hurtful.  I often wonder why some sharks can't just leave well-enough alone.  I'm not going to attack them - I just want to get my job done.
    I have no desire to be a shark - I don't work to define myself.  Work allows me to help my family, and I take pride in doing a good job, and I love to learn new things and take on more responsibilities, but I am not the type to backstab, lie, and cheat my way up the ladder.  It's an old-fashioned concept, but I am an old-fashioned girl - I am being paid to do a job, and to do anything less than my best would be cheating my employers.  I prefer to earn anything I get by working hard and honestly.  But, maybe it intimidates the sharks, or they think I will outshine them, I don't know.  All I do know is I just want to be left alone to do my job.  I won't interfere with theirs, I expect them to leave me alone. 
   But, I will reenter the waters, because mainly we like to eat regularly, and pray the Lord will steer the sharks elsewhere.  And, if not, He will help me survive the bites.  West Texas Mamas are tough enough to take it.
   Well, drawing me back to the tv screen are more scenes of sharks in a feeding frenzy - absolutely fascinating - gotta go!

Comments

  1. We LOVE shark week! But I'm not smart enough to let my mind wander so creatively. :o( I do find it alarming that my family so enjoys watching sharks eat human beings. I do nothing but join them in their fixation. Guess the 'mother of the year' award is out for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...