Skip to main content

Bait and Switch

Lady Luck is a fickle woman. You know that you are being set up and cannot count on her to help you, but you play her game anyway. And, then, once you are in the midst of it, you realize once again that you will lose.

I told Jake he could only ride three rides. Of course, being the child that negotiates for EVERYTHING, he offered two rides and one game. I accepted the deal I would later realize was more Faustian in nature than I could have predicted. Finishing his two rides, he made a bee-line for the carney game.....toss a ping pong ball in a bowl of water and win a gold fish. No way can he win that, I thought, and I won't get suckered into the "upgrade" scam for nasty, cheap stuffed animals.

Emma and I hustled to keep up. The carney saw us coming. I could see the glint in her eyes from 20 paces. "How much?" I asked. "One dollar for three, 10 for $3", she replied. I hand over $2 and tell her three balls for each kid. Emma, while enthusiastic, is less than accurate in her aim. I chased the ping pong balls down the fairway and returned to the booth, gloating secretly that my plan to NOT go home with a fish was working.
Jake warmed up for his turn. He pulled his arm back, fired it forward....and the ball bounced between the bowls and to the floor. Whew, one down. He took his second ball, started his windup, and the ball hit the bowl but careened off the water and bounced to the floor. YES! Two down. I look at my son, and I see determination cross his face. With intense concentration, he took his third and final ball and let it fly with all he was worth. It glanced off the side of a bowl, and I knew we were in the clear!

Quite pleased with myself, I look down at my two adoring children.....big mistake. As their eyes welled up, and their lips started to quiver, I steeled myself for what I knew would be the counter-maneuver. "One more, please, mama?? Please???" I tried to resist, really, I did. But I failed. And, I was feeling lucky. "Ok, but this is it...we go home after this!" I pass over two more dollars. Six ping pong balls were passed back.

Emma quickly went through her three. YES, half-way home! Jake grabs his, and the first two follow suit in to no-man's land. He takes his third ball and as if in slow-motion, I watch it sail up, up, and land gently right on top of a bowl. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Jake jumps for joy. The Devils' minion, I mean carney, laughs evilly as she hands me the bag with the fish. Jake announces to the crowd that he is naming the fish Nemo.

You might think the story ends there, but you'd be wrong.

Jake, Emma, and I head off to find their father in the livestock show barn. Jake spots his daddy, goes running up to him, and proudly introduces Nemo. While Darin was obviously thinking of several smart aleck things to say, he wisely thought better of that idea and kept his mouth shut. He knows I have too much ammo with which to return fire.

We say goodbye to Daddy, and I tell Jake that we have to go to PetSmart to get Nemo a new home and some food. I figure I'm looking at a small glass bowl and some fish food - $10 or so. The fish will probably only live for about a week, and then we can tell Jake that Nemo decided to go live in the country.

We arrive at PetSmart with Nemo, who had received an official name change to Oliver. We walk in and a very nice saleslady asked if she could help us. I said, "Yes! I need help getting a bowl and food for this fish we won at the fair." Jake proudly holds up Oliver and introduces him to the saleslady. She said, "Um, you are going to need a big tank for that fish. He'll get to be about 15 inches long. He's what we call a "pond rocket"."

Pond rocket? Seriously? Of course he is. I now have proof that carneys work for the Devil.

I asked her how cheaply she could get me out of there. The look of desperation must have been powerful as she looked at me and said, "You want to get a Betta fish." Jake, to his credit, says "I don't want a big fish. I want a fish that stays small like a baby." The saleslady had fun helping Jake choose a fish and assorted items while I wondered how I was going to explain this one to his daddy. Jake, odd child that he is, decided upon a small blue female betta - he didn't like the male ones with the big fins. Some colorful rocks and a pink plastic "flower" later, we were done.

We walked out of PetSmart with a betta fish, cheap bowl, and other essentials for about $20. Not bad, could have been much worse. I tried to trade them Oliver the Pond Rocket, but no such luck. The lady did give me a stern warning to not drop Oliver in a local lake as he would drastically alter the ecosystem. We wouldn't want that, would we?

Hot, tired, and mad at Lady Luck and carnival workers everywhere, I drove us home. We fixed up the bowl, filled it with water, and I let Jake catch and transfer the fish to her new home. I asked him what her name was, and he informed me it was Soosie. So the family has expanded to include two adults, two kids, a cat, a dog, and a fish. Welcome home, Soosie.

By the way, Oliver is probably having a grand time in the country right now.

Comments

  1. Been there, done that. Successfully killed a fish, iguana, lizard and crab AFTER all supplies and food items had been purchased! UGH.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h