Skip to main content

A Woman's Job

Emma has just declared to me (with her little hands balled up into fists and placed defiantly on her hips) that a woman doesn't give up on her job until it is done. It is hard to not laugh at her little lip stuck out as she tries not to cry.  You see, this heroically delivered statement is done so in reference to her beloved Gig'Ems, a stuffed monkey she sleeps with that has gone missing.  It probably helps that it gives her a reason (about the twenty-seventh, I think) to get out of bed and come to my room.  

I sent her back to her room with the suggestion that Gig'Ems is probably buried deep in all the junk on her floor.

The twenty-eighth reason involved a dramatic monologue of the depth of her love for Gig'Ems and further declarations that she will never,never give up on him, and that he was not where I said.

The twenty-ninth time brought an extended period of wailing and crocodile tears, topped off with a dramatic flailing of herself across my lap with "I must find him, I cannot sleep without him!"  

It is becoming very apparent that neither shall I.

I am a little concerned about this flair she has for the dramatic, as I am relatively intolerant of drama queens.  I am pretty sure both God and my mother somehow conspired against me, and they both cannot wait until she is a teenager.  I have my own private Scarlet O'Hara.   Although the screams of Gig'Ems coming from her room reminds me more of Marlon Brando's anguished "Stella!".

I know that all of this is part of a bigger plot.....one more devious in nature.  She fully intends to act her way not to an academy award, but to a place in Mama's bed (she has an audience of one, since daddy is out of town.). That is the true goal of this little woman, and she will not give up until it is done.  And most likely, given that at some point I must sleep or society as a whole will be in danger, she will accomplish her purpose.

But I bet I find Gig'Ems tomorrow, and if I don't wring his neck for being duplicit in her one-act play, maybe I will get to have a drama-free night of rest.  Oh yes, finding him will become MY job, and this woman will not give up until it is done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...