Skip to main content

Grammy Hiatus

I've taken a 10-year hiatus from the Grammy's.  But, a snowstorm that has left us sequestered with a fire burning in the fireplace and the kids early to bed has left me with a rare opportunity to sit and watch a show I used to love to watch all the time.

I find my self tripping down memory lane.  My pre-married life was spent on the edges of the music industry.  I worked for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, which afforded me the opportunity to see a minimum of 20 high-profile music acts each year.  I got to be in close proximity to many of those acts, and it was always fun to watch the music award shows.  When one of the acts I may have met would win an award, somehow, it kind of felt like a distant cousin had done well.

One thing disturbed me greatly about this show.  I was quite excited about the fact that some of my favorites would be playing - however, I do not like it when the intros include statements such as, "a living legend" and instead of the actual artist, there is a "tribute" by today's artists.  I think they are implying that my favorites are old.  Which means that I am no longer as hip or cool as I was under the impression that I was. 

I find myself sitting with a confused expression as I watch weird Mickey Mouse light up masks.  I do not know half the artists, and I find their "music" to be less than appealing.  I would classify it more as noise.  Which makes me think that I heard my mother say something similar years ago. 

Oh. No.

It has just occurred to me that I am officially old.  Break out the cane, lap quilt, and hot tea......

Wait.  I can stop this.  I will be rushing out as soon as the snow stops to purchase the latest CDs - Bruno Mars, Adele, Rhianna, Lady Goo Goo, I mean Ga Ga or whatever.  I can turn back time, I know it!  What's that you say?  No CDs?  Download it? 

Nevermind.  I think I will just accept my age, embrace my old favorites, and go to bed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h...

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to se...

Travel Chaos

Travel seems to never be a smooth endeavor anymore. I was scheduled to leave for Nashville this past week, El Hubbo was headed for Borger, Tx, and the kids would be left to their own devices. Ok, not really. The kids would be packed off to their grandparents in Floydada. We'd arranged for Rocky to go to the kennel, Mab (the cat) and Soosie (the fish) really would be left to their own devices. See what I mean? This situation called for massive coordination similar to that of most covert military operations. The first sign that things were simply not going to go according to plan was Rocky. Having been kennel led the week before while we took a quick trip to Austin, he managed to get Kennel Cough. Despite having been vaccinated. Great. We could not now kennel him, do now what? El Hubbo begged his sister to come over and play nurse to Rocky. I wasn't sure that he was going to make that happen as my sister-in-law is not really much of an animal person, and is especial...