Skip to main content

Dear Stop Sign

Dear Stop Sign,

I need to tell you a story.  For some time now I have been chasing a shadow.  I once knew this girl who was fearless, healthy, and strong.  I have been convinced for quite awhile that she might never be found, but today I thought I might have seen her.

She was the very definition of fierce independence.  She believed what she did not know could be learned.  She was never afraid to try.  She truly did not know that there was anything she could not do if she set her mind to it.  Her mother instilled in her the mantra:  "Figure it out."  If she wanted to see something, she went and saw it.  If she wanted to do something, she went and did it. 

She was in the prime of her life. 

She rock climbed in the dark.  She rappelled with abandon.  She rafted rivers at their peak.  She loped around center field, leaping and climbing the fence and  snatching home runs away from big men with bats.  She fired from second to home, hearing the umpire shout, "OUT!  D*%^ that girl's got a cannon!"  She stood at the plate with a slight knowing half-smile as the men in the outfield crowded the infielders.  Then she sent the ball to the fence and crossed home plate without looking back.

She did most things without looking back.  The challenge always lay ahead, and she loved the adventure.  There was always something new to try, somewhere new to go.  Work, home, everywhere, she loved living.  She learned much from many people and was grateful for the opportunities.  When asked, "Can you help us with this?"  Her reply was never, "I don't know how." but "Show me."

She never listened to external voices that said, "You might get hurt", "But what if something bad happens?", "But what if you fail?"  Sometimes she got hurt.  Sometimes bad things happened, and sometimes she failed.  But she kept on going knowing that the rewards far outweighed the risks, and eventually she'd heal, she'd overcome the bad things, and she'd succeed. 

I'm not quite sure when this girl disappeared.  Somewhere along the way, she stopped chasing the challenges.  When opportunities presented themselves, she listened to the external voices telling her all the reasons she couldn't or shouldn't do things enough to the point she heard them internally.  She started having health issues.  She faded away until she couldn't be found anymore.

I'm on a mission now.  I'm chasing the challenge to find her.  My son and daughter need to see life lived.  They need to learn to "Figure it out."  They need to know it is ok, even wonderful, to chase goals, dreams, and challenges.  They need to not be kept back by fear.

I think I saw a glimpse of her today.  I think that was her that pumped her fist as she walked up to you.  Your blinking light kept telling her to stop.  You kept telling her she couldn't make it that far that soon.  But I heard her say, "Watch me". 

And sure enough, she did it.  It hurt, and it would appear her knees will be spending some quality time with some ice packs, but never again will you be blinking your negative messages to her.  Today, she beat you.  And lest you think it was a fluke, I'm pretty sure I heard her say, "And I'll be back to beat you again.

Yep, I'm pretty sure I saw her today. 

Sincerely,

WTM

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h