Skip to main content

Insuring Mayhem

Halloween was met with much anticipation by the kids this year.  Each child put much forethought into the costumes of choice:  Little Sunshine decided she would join the Minion ranks, complete with a homemade Minion choker, and Number One Son (Jake) decided he would be.......wait for it........Jake, From State Farm.

I, however, was just not feeling it.  I struggled to put out decorations.  Today I just could not make myself dress up (even thought my office usually goes over the top in their costumes).  I went dressed in all black and when asked just referred to myself as "Sadness".  I mustered up the energy to not dampen the kids' enthusiasm.

We're nearing the age where Number One Son will not enjoy the pillage for candy, so it was fun to watch him help his sister and go up to the door with her.  She was full steam ahead down the sidewalks, but when actually confronted with talking with strangers, she sometimes needs a little goading.  She believes, like her mother, that talking to people you don't know is just not right. 

We've tried various neighborhoods over the years, but we felt like we struck the jackpot last year with one just up the road from us.  As we pulled in and parked, the kids cheered in unison.  Jake came to one house and turned to us and said (excitedly) "Hey!  That's the house that had the political debate on last year between Trump and Hillary.  They gave me a WHOLE candy bar!"

He rushed up with his sister and knocked on the door.  A nice elderly couple came up, and the kids began talking to them.  And talking to them.  And talking to them.  I began to wonder if the kids were planning to move in.  It was really cold and I would have been fine with that right then because I could go back to my nice heated leather seats in my car.  After a bit, they came rushing back, and Emma said, "They are sweet."  Jake said, "And I scored again!" 

A few houses later, the kids took off running again:  "This is the house that serves hotdogs!"  El Hubbo took off running after them and elbowed his way up there with the kids.



I marveled at how my children could recall which house gave what over a year ago when they can't remember two seconds after I tell them to do something at home.

A bit later, we saw the scariest home deco of the night.....nothing says "beware" like a big ol' rusty van parked in a driveway.  We made sure no one popped out of the side door to snatch the kids.  We're just awesome parents like that.



One home made the ultimate "Go Away!" statement.  I applaud their lack of subtlety.



We made it home in time for the family to watch the World Series game, which I can't watch because every time I do the Astros start to lose.  Like, it started comical and transitioned to traumatic, and so I am bowing to superstition on this All Hallow's Eve.  I am relegated to getting updates relayed to me.  This really, really sucks since I once worked for the Astros and would love to actually see them win.  I'm paying the price, and if they win, you are welcome, Houston.

All in all, it was a success.  My rather bah-humbug halloween mood was lessened and as soon as the kids go to bed I plan to raid the candy.  And hopefully be treated to World Series Astros replays.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds