Skip to main content

Medical Sparring

My father.  The infamous Oso.  The Bear.

Just as when one is dealing with his spirit animal, one should always proceed with caution with my paternal parental unit.  Not everyone is ready for his wit and charm, but doctors in particular seem to struggle with quite how to deal with the man.

In Oso's not-so-humble opinion doctors are by-and-large "quacks".  The many years of medical training they have is bunk, and they have no idea what they are talking about.  He has stretched the patience of more than one member of the AMA, leading one to proclaim my father "the most non-compliant patient I have ever seen."  And, this particular doctor used to be a prison doctor!  That statement actually exists in a medical chart.  It also happen to provide my father with a peculiar point-of-pride.  In his mind, this meant he won.

With mom's passing, I have inherited the dubious honor of accompanying my father to the more important doctor visits.  We arrived and signed in with almost no incident.  When the nurse called my father's name out into the lobby, we were of course sitting opposite from the door.  Across all the other patients, my father bellows back, "Here I am!  Aren't you glad I cleared my schedule for you?"  This should have been the nurse's clue to suddenly feel sick and pass him off to someone else, but she decided to hang in there.

She tells him to step up on the scales.  Little did she know what this would involve.  He hands me a ziplock bag......yes, a ziplock bag.......and begins to pull things out of his pockets.  His keys.  His knife.  His glasses.  His cell phone.  His change.  His wallet.  His pen.  His glasses holder.  His mints.  and more stuff I cannot recall right now.  Just as he was about to step up, he then felt the pocket of his shirt and said, "Oh, you better hold this, no telling how much it weighs."  I am pretty sure the nurse rolled her eyes when she saw him hand me a business card.  (I know I did.)

She records the weight and he steps off.  He says to me, "I have to remember the other pair of shoes next time.  I bet they are a half pound lighter than these."  Now, if you knew my father, you would understand that half a pound was not going to make a huge difference.  The man is 6'4" and overweight.  There will be a lot of pounds recorded no matter what.

The nurse leads us to the exam room and begins to update the charts.  This is where my father starts really having fun.  This is his warmup for the doctor.  It's like a great big game of Balderdash where he tells a lengthy story in response to each question and the nurse must try to decipher the truths from the lies.

The best one today was when she asked if he had been hospitalized since they had seen him last.  His response, "Why of course not!"

And now, the whole reason I have to be present:  I respond, "Yes, he was hospitalized in Dallas at Baylor.  He fell - "

Dad interrupts, "that wasn't anything.  I was going along, you see there was a hotel at the hospital and of course it was no where near the hospital, but there were these hallways, and they claim I got off my medications, but I was walking to go see Dixie, and I went down this hall and may have slightly run into the wall, but I think I just missed my turn....

I interrupt, "Missed your turn!?!  Dad, you knocked yourself to the ground and didn't know what year it was."

"Well I rarely know what year it is!  And anyway I was trying to get up and no one would let and then they called security.  I wanted to examine that column, because you know 300+ pounds hitting it had to have cracked, but I couldn't find a crack nowhere and I told them I didn't want to go to the ER, so they hauled me to Dixie's room, and then she chewed me out, and HEY! Come to think of it she called you and you made them take me to the ER!  It was your fault, you little stinker.."

"Dad, again, you went off your meds, and you weren't acting right, and YES I made you go to the ER, and "

"I'm going to get even with you..."

"Right, like right now?"

He laughed (you, see this is our "normal" dynamic), however, the nurse was not quite sure what to make of all this.  I summarized for her, "Yes, he was hospitalized.."

"But.."

"Dad, shut it."  He realized I had declared the game over, and he conceded.  I continued, "he missed his medications regularly enough to have some issues.  They got him straightened out, but there are some medication differences compared to what the doctor here prescribed, so we would like him to review that."

She looked at me with relief, as she was clearly out-matched with my father.  She made her notes and then began to take his blood pressure.  Now this man has suffered a heart-attack and has a medication list a mile long.  You can probably guess that high blood pressure is among his medical issues.  The nurse looks at the machine and looks at me with alarm.  "Is he feeling ok?"  (I'm guessing she had decided he was a mental case and would direct all of her questions to me.  Smart lady. )

"He's acting normally."  Again, "normally" being relative.....she showed me the result and it was low.  As in, low enough to barely register.  Zombies and vampires have higher blood pressures.  I said, "I don't think that is right.  He takes it regularly and runs higher than that."

Dad looked at me with some concern at this point.  "What?  High?"  (He can't hear, so he's guessing at the conversation.)

"No, low.  What do you regularly run?"

"I don't regularly run."

"No, Dad, your BLOOD PRESSURE, what does your BLOOD PRESSURE REGULARLY RUN?"  "Oh!  I don't know.  I take it with a portable wrist cuff.  I usually take it in the morning, but if I take it after I've been moving around, it's higher."

"The NUMBERS DAD, WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS???"

"Oh!  You want the numbers?"

"Yes."
"Well....."
The nurse at this point asks him if he feels ok, is he dizzy?

He grabbed his chest and popped his eyed wide and pretends to start to fall off the exam table.  She paled.

"Dad!  Quit it!"

He began to laugh and told her he felt fine.  She resumed breathing.  (Although at a heart doctor's office, one would think she would be better equipped to handle a sudden heart-attack situation?)  She shakily started to take his blood pressure on the other arm.  The numbers kept getting lower.  Dad kept assuring her he felt fine.

I suggested we try another machine.  She responded we'd have to see what the doctor said.  A technician came in to test the ICD unit implanted in my father's chest.  He saw the blood pressure machine and said, "Wow, are you feeling ok?"

Dad, excited that fresh meat had entered the room, tried the grab the chest and die routine again.  The technician was not as gullible as the nurse.  Everything checked out with the ICD and as he started to roll his cart out said, "Well, looks good, we'll see you next time!"

Dad pointed to the blood pressure machine and responded, "Well, don't get ahead of yourself, we better wait and see how this turns out!"  The tech laughed.  The nurse almost fainted.

Finally, the doctor arrived.  Now, this doctor has had the pleasure of ten year's worth of verbal sparring with my father.  He is unafraid, brash, and can go toe-to-toe with him anytime.  This is probably why this is the ONLY doctor my father has ever made ANY attempt to please.

The doctors launched right in:  "Well, what is happening with this blood pressure?"

My father, "I don't know!  You're the doctor!"

Unfazed, the doctor grabbed his arm.  He looked at me and raised his eyebrows.  I said, "He's not acting any weirder than usual."

Dad started to say something, and the doctor put his finger on dad's lips and said, "Shhhhhh.  You are weird, so no weirder than normal is ok.  This machine is wrong."  He asked the nurse to get him another machine.  She was all-too-willing to get out of that room - she was obviously over my father's charms.

The doctor asked dad how he had been.

"Well, I've been trying to behave myself," And, then, "but that is hard for me" and the doctor simultaneously said, "I know that is difficult for you."

See, perfect doctor match for my father.

A new machine was brought in and the blood pressure was determined not to be an issue.  Dad relatively behaved himself for the remainder of the doctor's examination.  The doctor said he seemed to be doing better than he had in a long time, he didn't want him to change anything, and he would see him in 6 months and do an echo at that time.

My father, said, "hey!  You didn't say anything about my weight!"  There is history here.  This doctor has threatened my father with surgery, told him he wouldn't see him anymore because there was no point, punched my father in the stomach (that was a particularly fun visit to observe) and bribed my father to lose weight.  Now you understand the ziplock bag and practical stripping prior to stepping on the scale.  My father has come to look forward to the challenge of proving to the doctor that he is wrong, and that my father can lose weight anytime he wants to.

The doctor pulled the charts back up and reviewed them....."What?  You lost 17 pounds!  That is good!  Keep it up!  Or, do we need to try a new machine there?"

Dad smiled like a little boy who had been praised by his father.  "You weren't going to check!  You used to bet me on my weight, you would have owed me big, this time."  The doctor laughed and dismissed us.

We scheduled his next appointment and as we were walking out dad leaned over and whispered, "Let's go eat.  I have some celebrating to do.  I haven't eaten all day, which probably accounted for most of that weight loss."

I rolled my eyes, and made sure I saved the next visit on my calendar.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uno Lampino

 El Hubbo started the conversation with "Now, promise you won't kill him." That immediately got my attention.   "He broke one of your lamps when he came in the house with the weed eater.  Like beyond repair." I asked, "Why was he bringing the weed eater through the house?" "Well, he cleaned it up and he feels bad," El Hubbo said.  "I thought I should call and give you warning.  We've spent so much time and money getting him to this point....." "Ugh."  I hung up. Upon my arrival home, I saw the lampshade on the counter.  Then I saw the boy child.  I grabbed him in a big hug.  "Your daddy called and told me you wanted to take me lamp shopping.  That is so sweet of you!" He looked a bit bewildered but relieved that I had not immediately gone for the jugular.  "Uh, yeah, ok." "I'm so excited that I'm getting new lamps for the living room!" "Wait?  Lamps?  Don't you mean 'l

A Simple Virtual Christmas Letter 2020

 I used to send out a Christmas card with usually funny pictures of my offspring and a Christmas letter.  A couple years ago, I noticed I received only a couple Christmas cards and I noticed how expensive my little project was, and I noticed how expensive Number One Son's braces were going to be, and I decided that the card and letter tradition had probably gone the way of others. and it was time to stop.  My holiday spirit died a little that day. And, then, a miracle.  It's 2020 and I have received a record number of Christmas cards!  Actual, in the mailbox, Christmas cards!  And, several virtual cards (which I still give points for as it takes time and planning.) My holiday spirit enjoyed that little boost.   So, as it is too late to assemble the actual card and letter,  here's the resurrected virtual annual report of the Martinez Clan: Number One Son has grown to the point he looks his mama in the eye.  He sidles up to her often to see if he has passed her.  She reminds

Doin' Cowboy Stuff

"Steer's out!" was the call El Hubbo got last Saturday.  We were outside on our back porch, enjoying our newly cleaned up space, when our friend and neighbor down the road called. He'd just gotten two steers the night before, and we'd gone to help him unload. "They are a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be," he said.  He'd planned to get a couple steers to feed out and then have butchered.  Usually that translates into a 300 - 500 lb calf, and you feed them out to about 1000 - 1300 lbs.  When we arrived, we were greeted by two solid black, 900+ lb steers who were not too happy with their current circumstances.   Mean would be an understatement.  They were in the trailer, but they eyed us with a "We're bigger and badder than you" look in their eyes.  El Hubbo and I looked at each other a bit surprised, and then we hopped out and got to work.  The trailer was backed up, the gates were opened and out they charged!  Around the h